Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting in Low Temperatures

Hoytman62

What are the chances of bucks moving and killing one in temperatures 24-30 deg F while hunting in a tree stand? Just curious..... Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'd agree. In single digits they are forced to move more to keep their body temps up. This requires more calories/food consumption. Not sure how far they would move without knowing your area. If there is a good food source close to cover. . . They might move more but not move far.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This time of year hunting near food is key. 20-30 degrees isn't all that cold and in my opinion the deer will usually move more after dark at that temperature. Unless we're talking unpressured deer. When the temps get into the teens and the single digits, that's when they start to get desperate and more likely to feed in daylight. At those low temps they also tend to bed very close to food sources. Efficiency equals survival when it's bitter cold.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
They were moving heavily today at 2pm. The temperature was 12 degrees and possibly the warmest point in the day. Keep in mind when it is super cold...high temps in the single digits to teens, that deer will move during the warmest point in the day. Today that time was between 2 and 3 pm. I saw 115 deer in that hour driving around today.