Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Regulations-Confused

CodyB

Massillon OH
What’s confusing...?

It says bag limit is 5 or 6 1 buck and the rest does. But then says you are only aloud to kill 1 doe on public land. So I am assuming that means you are only aloud to kill 1 buck and 1 doe on public land and the rest have to be on private land or did I not understand that correctly?

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Without looking and knowing your zone, I believe it's 6 deer total statewide, but you may not exceed the limit for any particular zone. Only 1 buck statewide regardless. Or you could shoot all six antler less if you so choose

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Always helps to have a visual aid. No matter where to hunt or the weapon you use, you can't kill more than 6 deer total. You only get one buck tag period and that buck counts towards your 6. The country-specific info should be fairly straightforward. You're only allowed one antlerless deer from public ground and beginning December 9th, you can only shoot bucks on public ground.

Hopefully thay clears things up, but if you're still confused, be specific about what trips you up and we'll help you out.

Screenshot_20190826-194211_Drive.jpg

CodyB

Massillon OH
Always helps to have a visual aid. No matter where to hunt or the weapon you use, you can't kill more than 6 deer total. You only get one buck tag period and that buck counts towards your 6. The country-specific info should be fairly straightforward. You're only allowed one antlerless deer from public ground and beginning December 9th, you can only shoot bucks on public ground.

Hopefully thay clears things up, but if you're still confused, be specific about what trips you up and we'll help you out.

View attachment 88921

So if I am understanding correctly. only 1 doe and 1 buck from public ground this year and only bucks after December 9th on public land. But if you have private you can follow the zone and state wide limit?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Statewide limit is 6, not including special controlled hunts. Within that 6, you have to stay within the county-specific limits and also the public land specific regulations. So some counties have 2 or 3-deer limits... In order to get to 6 you have to hunt in multiple counties. Below is a hypothetical example of tagging out:

Sandusky County - 1 buck on private, 1 doe on private (2 total... Tagged out for the county, tagged out on a buck)
Erie County - 2 does on private (Tagged out for the county)
Morgan County - 1 doe on public (Tagged out for public land, NOT tagged out of the county)
Carroll County - 1 doe on private (NOT tagged out for the county)
TOTAL DEER - 6 - TAGGED OUT FOR THE ENTIRE STATE

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No matter where to hunt or the weapon you use, you can't kill more than 6 deer total.

Not to muddy the waters any more than they already are, but technically this is not true. You can kill an additional 6 deer in the special Controlled Hunt opportunities (NASA Plumbrook, Ravenna, Ottawa Refuge, etc.). So if you tag out in controlled hunts you can actually legally kill 12 deer in the state of Ohio. There was only one person in the entire state that did this last season. Well, only one that did it legally. LOL And he's my neighbor.

CodyB

Massillon OH
Statewide limit is 6, not including special controlled hunts. Within that 6, you have to stay within the county-specific limits and also the public land specific regulations. So some counties have 2 or 3-deer limits... In order to get to 6 you have to hunt in multiple counties. Below is a hypothetical example of tagging out:

Sandusky County - 1 buck on private, 1 doe on private (2 total... Tagged out for the county, tagged out on a buck)
Erie County - 2 does on private (Tagged out for the county)
Morgan County - 1 doe on public (Tagged out for public land, NOT tagged out of the county)
Carroll County - 1 doe on private (NOT tagged out for the county)
TOTAL DEER - 6 - TAGGED OUT FOR THE ENTIRE STATE

Got it! That helps sorry gents I was a little confused when I seen it last year. I thought I had it right but that clears it up . Thanks guys!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The only variance between public in private is just one doe off public and bucks only after 12/9 on public. So yes, you're correct.

I'm in a 3 deer county. I can kill 3 does or 2 does and 1 buck in Zone 3. If I want to kill my other 3 deer, I have to leave Zone 3.

Reactions: Big_Holla

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not to muddy the waters any more than they already are, but technically this is not true. You can kill an additional 6 deer in the special Controlled Hunt opportunities (NASA Plumbrook, Ravenna, Ottawa Refuge, etc.). So if you tag out in controlled hunts you can actually legally kill 12 deer in the state of Ohio. There was only one person in the entire state that did this last season. Well, only one that did it legally. LOL And he's my neighbor.

HA. You're correct. And now we can't see the rocks in the creek due to the mud 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: jagermeister

Lucky

Sunbury
They got my county as a four deer county. This county should b a 3 county imo. Used to see shit loads nightly in fields. Still enough deer to be good hunting, shure as shit what it used to be. Between yotes and housing development its put a hurting on them. Would rather see two for a few yrs. And a bounty on yotes.