Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hypothetical Question

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Time for an update. As of recent, I have only had to scare them off twice in the last week and a half. I've spotted what I believe is them on a neighbors place down the road. I'm not sure if this has been a factor or not, but I have had two red foxes chasing mice on a daily basis behind the house. Pretty neat watching them hunt!
There has also been a very large flock of roughly a couple hundred snow geese in field a half mile from my place. I've never seen so many and man are they vocal. You can hear them standing outside of the garage, pretty cool. I'll try and get some pictures today.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
20190318_180937.jpg

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
After doing some research, Jim's right. They are swans, just not the domestic ones im used to seeing. Mute swans I think they're called, where these are trumpeter swans, I think. Thanks Jim!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
After doing some research, Jim's right. They are swans, just not the domestic ones im used to seeing. Mute swans I think they're called, where these are trumpeter swans, I think. Thanks Jim!
No prob man. They are more than likely Trumpeters, but there's probably some Tundra swans mixed in as well. These are big migrating flocks on their way back north, packing in some much needed carbs. The Mute swans are an invasive species and look similar to other swans from afar, but they have an orange, knobby bill, and typically show that telltale S-curve in their neck when swimming. Mute swans are almost never seen in dry ag fields.

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
No prob man. They are more than likely Trumpeters, but there's probably some Tundra swans mixed in as well. These are big migrating flocks on their way back north, packing in some much needed carbs. The Mute swans are an invasive species and look similar to other swans from afar, but they have an orange, knobby bill, and typically show that telltale S-curve in their neck when swimming. Mute swans are almost never seen in dry ag fields.
Wealth of knowledge, thanks again JB.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I see a couple of the Mute swans up on lake George every summer. They aren't very nice when you get close to them fishing.
Yep, they are aggressive and territorial bastards. LOL. That's why people brought them here. The intent was to keep them in private ponds as a way to prohibit canada geese from moving in and shitting everywhere. But the problem was the owners were too lazy or forgetful to keep their wings clipped, so they've consequently bred and spread into public lakes and marshes. But the state and the feds have done a great job of wiping them out as needed the past few years.

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails