Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I found a leek

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
If anyone needs some ramps...ive got a few places where they’re covering the ground....literally thousands. Come dig all you want! You can see from some of the photos that they stretch on for a long distance.
7A643670-6DBB-4DA0-B0BA-44D996A275D3.jpeg
537009CF-7699-4AC7-979D-F87DCFC212E1.jpeg
1DA74DF6-0961-4CCC-B1E6-69D4FC2FC308.jpeg
A07DD39F-D0B9-40A9-B665-CD44E71B6DE4.jpeg

Jamie

Ohio
lol, yes, I'm pretty excited to see what all I can use this ramp pesto for. lots of possibilities, I think.

Buckmaster

Portage
No blanching required. Simply wash with cold water. Transplants take 7 years to establish a spread. I planted about 2 dozen clumps in a row about 2 foot apart about 8 years ago. They’re starting to fill in.

Reactions: Mike

Jamie

Ohio
and one last ramp romp. I went out of my way to dig up some A. tricoccum to transplant to my property. had to carry about 60lbs of dirt and ramps a half mile from where I dug them, but now I have a diverse transplant program. ;) dug a bunch of A. burdickii and some A. tricoccum to eat, too. and found some nice young Pheasant backs and a few Oysters, too. and a Box turtle.

rampin'.jpg

very happy to see Box turtles on my place. I've seen at least one every year I've been here.

IMG_3411.jpg

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
and one last ramp romp. I went out of my way to dig up some A. tricoccum to transplant to my property. had to carry about 60lbs of dirt and ramps a half mile from where I dug them, but now I have a diverse transplant program. ;) dug a bunch of A. burdickii and some A. tricoccum to eat, too. and found some nice young Pheasant backs and a few Oysters, too. and a Box turtle.

View attachment 126396

very happy to see Box turtles on my place. I've seen at least one every year I've been here.

View attachment 126397
Found two box turtles on my place in Vinton county this past week when I was out there turkey hunting...they were about 100 yards apart.

Reactions: Big_Holla and Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get any Ramps this year while recovering from hip replacement, but I went after some yesterday. I have a huge patch that covers about 4-5 acres that I can drive to within 50 yards of. Easy to get as many as I could carry from that sea of Ramps that didn't require long hike. I figure we can eat about half of these before they start going downhill, the rest will become pesto. It was wonderful having frozen Ramp pesto all winter. This is an excellent way to put them up indefinitely.

IMG_3728.jpg

I did this just like Buckmaster and Mike. pureed with some evoo and poured into ice cube tray to freeze. each cube is 1 fluid once which is 2 TB. the perfect amount for most of my recipes.

IMG_3729.jpg