Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I hate wind

Jamie

Ohio
Just woke up, no electric. Wind is howling something awful. The house is wired for generator use, but I'll wait a spell to use it if really needed ... oh wait, coffee ...lol
howling wind woke me up today, but the power is on. I have coffee. :)

we've endured plenty of power outages in the last 21 years. enough that I should have had at least a small portable generator 20 years ago. never got around to getting one. last summer, after much debate and procrastination, we had a whole house stand-by generator installed. runs on propane, and powers the entire house and my shop. fully automatic, wifi connected. power goes off, ten seconds later, generator is running and power is on. I don't have to lift a finger. it is a wonderful piece of mind and convenience to have, and a worthwhile investment in an rural home. I told Nancy the day after it was installed that now that we have this, our electric will never go off again. since last June, our power went off one time for about 10 minutes, lol. generator fired up right on que, so now I know it actually works. wind has caused most all of our power outages here over the years. I slept better last night knowing it doesn't matter if the power goes out anymore.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Kevin you still have the GenerLink?

Jamie agreed on an auto stand-by setup! We went with a 30amp plug that feeds the whole panel with a mechanical lockout design to prevent backfeeding. Only issue is we don't know when electric is back on unless we try, see neighbors lights come on or get update from Ohio Edison. I'm not ashamed to say coffee is a must😁
Screenshot_20210326-072738_Facebook.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Our flickered on and off for hours. Was on a literal pattern for a while of running for 2 minutes, off for 10 seconds, flicker on, then off for 20 seconds, and back on for 2 minutes. Rinse and repeat. Finally shut off for good a few minutes ago. I'll make coffee at the office I guess.

I ran our generator last saturday just for this reason, to make sure it was ready. Luckily our power didn't go out last night with the wind we are getting as well. Heard a loud boom last night that made me think tree branch hit the roof but Terry insisted it was thunder LOL. Didn't hear anything else through the night so will do a better inspection when I get home in the daylight today. That is one thing I need to look into, having it wired to run the house on the generator, if it is even big enough for that?

Isaacorps

Columbus
I ran our generator last saturday just for this reason, to make sure it was ready. Luckily our power didn't go out last night with the wind we are getting as well. Heard a loud boom last night that made me think tree branch hit the roof but Terry insisted it was thunder LOL. Didn't hear anything else through the night so will do a better inspection when I get home in the daylight today. That is one thing I need to look into, having it wired to run the house on the generator, if it is even big enough for that?
Chuck, it’s a pretty straightforward setup to be able to use your portable generator to power essential household circuitry like Adam is talking about. Shoot me a PM and I’d be happy to walk you through it

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
We’ve had a generac for around ten years...does the entire house. Nice feeling knowing that you will always have power. The first time you lose power for a week or more in the middle of summer will make you feel like the cost was worth every single penny spent. Winter isn’t bad if you have a fireplace and it’s cold enough to store your food outside, but summer is a bitch without AC or running water.

Jamie

Ohio
we have a Generac, too. the worst thing about being without power was not having running water since we're on a well. the difference in cost between powering only the important circuits in the house (well pump, furnace blower, fridges and freezers) and a couple of extra outlets and powering the entire house and my shop was $1000. no brainer.

Last edited:

Isaacorps

Columbus
we have a Generac, too. the worst thing is not having running water since we're on a well. the difference in cost between powering only the important circuits in the house (well pump, furnace blower, fridges and freezers) and a couple of extra outlets and powering the entire house and my shop was $1000. no brainer.
Jamie, I’m curious why the whole house Generac doesn’t do the well pump? Is it fed from the house panel or on its own power source?

Jamie

Ohio
I didn't mean the generator does not power the well pump, just that was the worst thing about being without power before we had generator.

Reactions: 5Cent

Isaacorps

Columbus
I didn't mean the generator does not power the well pump, just that was the worst thing about being without power before we had generator.
Gotcha 👍🏼. Whole house is the way to go for sure. We install a ton of them. Of course there was a shortage during the “pandemic” and we were waiting months to get units we could usually get within a week