Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I "think" I know something..

saddlepants

central Ohio
thanks, hes not a big buck by any means but at least a two or three y.o and meat in the freezer. With the kinda luck Ive been having the last few years....if it walks, and is larger than a weanling...its dead

saddlepants

central Ohio
Done. Giving up. searched the cornfield, the river and the quarry several times over. Emptied water outa my boots three times. Rivers up and higher than them but I found they have a hole in the frint and shot now anyhoo. Expensive hard to find in my size LaCross. Now both pairs of hunting boots are soaked. Smartwool socks are the bomb tho and I didnt freeze. I DID however find my arrow in the quarry from the one antlered buck I shot at two weeks ago and set me straight on my aim at that close a range. Both bucks same spot. Correction here in the 15 ft thing. It was a 12 Yard shot on this one so maybe 10 0r 11 on the one I missed. I confirm I shot too high on the first one at that range (bow sighted for 25 yds, single pin). Arrow wasnt buried in the grass but out in the quarry. This one I aimed lower and had I properly anticipated the fact that he was taking a step woulda been a perfect double lung shot. But playing over in my head im certain it was a liver shot and the arrow was not all the way through and an upward angle from where he maybe ducked a bit so hence the very little blood trail. He is piled up somewhere for the yotes. :smiley_depressive:

saddlepants

central Ohio
I dread the though of having to draw out in the open but Im real tempted to grab a seat and move down toward where I saw the monster buck walking around...teeechnically not the same property but the landowner I have permission on says no one ventures down there ever because its river locked with his land. Do I dare?? Ive never seen another down there save for gun season when guys wander everywhere. I have a ghillie suit and have had GREAT luck with that but with a crossbow...less movement.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I dread the though of having to draw out in the open but Im real tempted to grab a seat and move down toward where I saw the monster buck walking around...teeechnically not the same property but the landowner I have permission on says no one ventures down there ever because its river locked with his land. Do I dare?? Ive never seen another down there save for gun season when guys wander everywhere. I have a ghillie suit and have had GREAT luck with that but with a crossbow...less movement.

What would a hunt be without a little bit of a challenge? Make sure you break up your outline and pick the right moments for movement... you'll be just fine. Oh, and smoke up first... I hear that helps. ;)