Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Insecticide Paint Additives

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Mostly looking towards @Jamie on this one, but also curious if anyone else has experience with using insecticide additives for paint (like M1).

I am contemplating a makeover for our garage to make it more efficient for our needs/use. If I commit, I'm painting the walls and if I do that, I'd love to cut down on the spiders without using Ortho Home Defense all the time. I know we sold M1 when I worked for Sherwin-Williams, but I have no clue if it actually works.

Any other suggestions for cutting down on insects in the garage (which then get inside) are appreciated.

Reactions: finelyshedded

Jamie

Ohio
Mostly looking towards @Jamie on this one, but also curious if anyone else has experience with using insecticide additives for paint (like M1).

I am contemplating a makeover for our garage to make it more efficient for our needs/use. If I commit, I'm painting the walls and if I do that, I'd love to cut down on the spiders without using Ortho Home Defense all the time. I know we sold M1 when I worked for Sherwin-Williams, but I have no clue if it actually works.

Any other suggestions for cutting down on insects in the garage (which then get inside) are appreciated.
The only time I every employed stir-in insecticide paint additive was when I used to spray aluminum siding a lot. Bugs love wet paint, and enough of them could really fuck up a nice sprayed finish on smooth metal, especially with white or light paint colors. It did seem to help keep them off while the paint was drying, but I never saw any evidence of it repelling insects after the paint film was completely dry. That said, I have also used stir-in mildewcide in interior paint in areas with moisture issues, and it worked pretty well to inhibit mildew growth on the dry paint film for a long time. My advice, if you don't mind the small cost and effort to add it, it damn sure won't hurt to try it. Nothing to lose but a few dollars and a few minutes of your time.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
We get our log cabin stained every 5 years or so because of the stain fading. The painter adds a product called Bee B Gone. It’s supposed to stop carpenter bees but it doesn’t. It is possible that it slows them down and it would be worse without it, so we have the painter add it every time he restains the house. Don’t know if it repels any other insects. We had to resort to carpenter bee traps and tennis racquets.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5Cent and Big_Holla