Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ISO WTB Recurve

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't have one for sale but I'd be surprised if there isn't someone here that does. Only thing I'll say is 55# is a heavy sumbitch. I don't know how experienced you are with trad bows... I'm not the incredible hulk but I'm fairly strong, and 55 was just too heavy to shoot consistently. I had it shaved down to 49# and it is much better. I think 40-45# would be ideal actually. Just my 2 cents. If you're reading this and thinking, "yea, no shit shirlock... I got this..." just disregard. LMAO!

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I don't have one for sale but I'd be surprised if there isn't someone here that does. Only thing I'll say is 55# is a heavy sumbitch. I don't know how experienced you are with trad bows... I'm not the incredible hulk but I'm fairly strong, and 55 was just too heavy to shoot consistently. I had it shaved down to 49# and it is much better. I think 40-45# would be ideal actually. Just my 2 cents. If you're reading this and thinking, "yea, no shit shirlock... I got this..." just disregard. LMAO!

You are probably right.

LMAO. I am no He-man. But I am a short sumbitch with a short draw. My thinking was 55# at 28" draw would put me right about 52#. I have a 45# bow I borrowed and have been shooting for about 8 months.

I am not opposed to a 50# either. Just something in the 50-55# range I think will be right.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I shoot a compound set at 66 lbs and can shoot it all day long. I bought a bear takedown @50 lbs and it didn’t take long for me to get tired. I then bought a PSE takedown with both 40# and 50# limbs. Haven’t shot it much but when I get the time to get into it, I figure I’ll start at 40#’s then after I get comfortable, move up to 50#. Something you may want to consider.

Reactions: Quantum673

Creamer

Athens
This is the bow I am currently shooting, and it's my first recurve.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/galaxy-sage-elite-62-takedown-recurve-bow.html

It's by no means the Rolls Royce of trad bows, but I have no complaints about it. It fits me well, and I'm shooting it well. And for only $80 you can add a second set of limbs. So if you wanted to start at 40lbs and buy a set of 45 or 50 or 55lb limbs, it's a cheap and easy thing to do. I literally almost have more $$$ in the dozen arrows I had built than I do in the bow, which is a little nuts to think about. It's a starter bow, and odds are I'll upgrade next year, but it's been great for getting me started.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Well I pulled the trigger finally.
Ordered an entry level takedown bow from 3 Rivers Archery. Figured I would start there and upgrade once I get a little more comfortable.

Went with The Edge Takedown Recurve with 50# limbs. Looking forward to it getting here and getting a little more serious about shooting.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Went to a buddies Friday and put together 9 cedar shafts. Left the other three bare for now. They will eventually be my hunting arrows. They turned out pretty good especially for my first time.
Not sure I could do it too often though as my liver took a beating. 🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• IMG_20190413_105507.jpg
    IMG_20190413_105507.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20190412_223653.jpg
    IMG_20190412_223653.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20190412_193420.jpg
    IMG_20190412_193420.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 174