Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kayak advise

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
A87A9A3C-86B7-4C0F-A5E8-F1970096CB3E.jpeg
AE50EFA0-45F7-4F83-B083-EE524EEFFFA5.jpeg
C3FF44A6-2ADC-460E-88F9-DFA11C9E27C7.jpeg
55C12A35-253F-46D3-B215-96670459C342.jpeg

Looking to purchase a kayak for fishing small ponds, lakes, rivers and back bays. Will be fishing for trout in small lakes, white perch in the rivers, flounder and striped bass in the back bays...also clamming on the mud flats and jump shooting ducks off of back bay tributaries. Figure I’d get more versatility from a kayak then a larger fishing boat. I need it to be VERY stable for fishing/hunting in the back bays. Going to get one with peddle drive and when I’m in real shallow water, I can lift it up out of the way and use a paddle. I know a lot of guys on here have experience fishing the Great Lakes, so I’m asking for advise on models I should check out. I figure smallie fishing on Lake Erie in a kayak will be pretty similar to fishing in one of the back bays of the coastal islands of NJ. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. I’d rather do it right the first time, than get one that doesn’t quite fit the bill and have to sell it and get another one. Attached are some pics of ones I found at a kayak shop in Delaware( about an hour and a half drive) so I’d really like to do it all in one trip. Also, looking to keep it around 10 feet and under 100 pounds.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Where do you mount the motor?
It drops down in the center console between your legs. Peddle power. They make them also with electric trolling motors but then I’d have to get it registered every year...no electric or gas motor and you don’t need to get it registered. Plus I don’t want the extra weight of a battery...like to keep it light and mobile. If you look at the second pic, second boat from the bottom...zoom in, you can see how it is connected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stressless

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Look at the used market, if you’re not in a hurry....
Was looking more for advise on what to look for and what to stay away from. I have a small kayak I use for wood ducks in the swamp but in all honesty, taking a kayak to the back bays has a certain “pucker factor”. Weather can turn quick...I know I’ll need a good life vest...just hoping someone on here has experience on big water.

Stressless

Keene, OH
SgtF - now this is something close and dear to my heart.

I live on the water, been 'yak fishing mostly salt water (19 years) and some fresh ponds and rivers (much less). Had a 23' center console and sold it cause I catch bigger fish out of my yak.

Okay first don't buy until you try- not a fishing trip but def tool around some rudder, propulsion system, and what I call 'assfeel' you'll be sitting in it for hours... and hours...
Not all of them feel the same, so getting you fanny in it is really the only way for You to Match with the boat.

Like most things everything on a yak is a tradeoff, width for stability -but- increased drag.

Length for smoothing chop -but- decreased maneuverability

Etc -

Second I would lookup local kayak fishing clubs around your area, some are better than others, go see how and who, and why the folks that fish in your area do it, how they configure their yaks etc.. it'll save much going up that ol'learning curve.

I've found the Hobie line fits my needs, butt, and budget the best for how I like to yak fish. Try them, and others - it'll mean a slight dip in your account but go with a solid, well built yak with room to mount accessories and a quality propulsion system.

... then get another quality yak without the propulsion system for rivers and shallow pond areas... trust me in that.

I can chat or PM if you want...

For the .5- 1.5 acre ponds at the farm here in OH the cheap $300-400 paddle yaks are fine, best actually as I can get around on my quad.

Couple of snaps, welcome to a new addiction...

The orange one, when I'm on the water I WANT to be seen by folks with power craft. All thr pvc is my doing.

I routinely go 1-3 miles offshore in my natical Tupperware :ROFLMAO:
20200612_150812.jpg

20190831_073740.jpg

20200926_121215.jpg

My first billfish, a 80# sailfish this summer.
20181119_153950.jpg

20# grouper

So enjoy, let me know if you have any specific questions.

Comms,
. Primary Waterproof, floating VHF
Secondary waterproof cased cell phone

Yak propulsion.
1st spares for 'anything' that moves in conjunction with your propulsion system, including rudder

2nd Good to great paddle for the above shits it on you

Good to great integrated Fishfinder/GPS that has a removable card so you can use your desktop/laptop to manage your waypoints

Last edited:

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
149ED002-0651-4C0B-8F66-471A170E114C.jpeg
2DA48FA6-9BD2-4310-90C1-87B775FD92D9.jpeg

Ended up getting an old town predator. Pedal drive. Outfitted with extra rod holders, fish finder, gps, extra paddle and a bunch of other small extras. Can’t wait to try it out next week on the back bays of Strathmere. Modified some scaffolding to make a cart for it. I’m sure it’ll be much easier loading and unloading from my truck.👍 Thanks for the tips @Stressless

Stressless

Keene, OH
That's a sweet ride @Sgt Fury !

...there are two truths to the kayak fishing thing that are aligned.

1. There are two kinds of people that kayak fish. Those that have rolled them and those that will.

2. ANYTHING you want to bring back to shore needs to be attached to the kayak.

Enjoy - can't wait to see some happy snaps.

Best Regards,
Stressless