Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for info on an North Eastern Ohio Gunsmith named Grant Dick

jamesj

Texas
I recently inherited my Uncles Hunting Rifle, it was built by Grant Dick on a commercial FN Mauser action around 1955. It has Grant's name stamped on the rifle, it is a great shooting rifle, it has been carried more than shot. Bore is like brand new with overall bluing being at 99%. Story is, my uncle, who is from Youngstown, bought the rifle just after he joined the Marines. I have no intentions of selling, I normally hunt with a different rifle but I took it out a few times this year hog hunting and it didn't fail me, 3 for 3.

Any information anyone could share on the gunsmith would be greatly appreciated.

cd2.jpg
cd1.jpg

jamesj

Texas
Yes that is correct, my mistake, i googled him already, there is a little info about him on the net that I can find but not much.
thanks

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Grant Dick’s shop was in Hanoverton. I was in his shop when I was very young, barely remember it. His work was highly regarded locally. When I was younger a friend an I hunted groundhogs together and Dave often used a .220 Swift that Dick had built on a 98 Mauser action with an Unertl scope. The rifle was very accurate but it had a roll over comb and I couldn’t shoot it (I’m left handed) His daughter had an auction 3-4 years ago and sold 2 or 3 of his rifles.

I’ve had chances to buy a few of his rifles but they always came at the wrong time. I’d be proud to own one.

jamesj

Texas
Thanks for the info, my uncle gave me the rifle two months before he passed after we did a family pig hunt. His passing was very unexpected but he was 76 at the time.

I took it out several months ago for the first time and shot it, Grant was really an old school craftsman.

Reactions: Big_Holla

jamesj

Texas
30-06, I wish I wouldn't have waited to take it out for so long. It is a real tack driver, the trigger on it is the best I have ever used. Brakes so clean

Reactions: Ohiosam
I never met him myself. I am going on my memory of the 2 old boy's conversations. I could be off on the UK transplant thing but the word Limey was used occasionally as a term of endearment by them, as in "That old limey..."
I saw his work and how it shot though. Both beautiful! He didn't checker, so that's where my gunsmith friend came in occasionally. Both of them loved Unertl scopes out of Pittsburgh!