Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for tracking dog to cover Champaign & Logan counties

Bnew17

I will be hunting these 2 counties in a few weeks with a friend of mine. Can someone point me in the right direction or tell me some good trackers for these counties? Last year my friend shot a buck too far back and we were not able to find a tracker. I would like to have some numbers ahead of time this go around. Thanks!

1636471463687.png

1636471474642.png

Bnew17

That looks like the list I used last year, and was unable to find anyone willing to come to those counties. I was hoping there were some other choices that may not be on the list, that either may be members here or someone may know.

That looks like the list I used last year, and was unable to find anyone willing to come to those counties. I was hoping there were some other choices that may not be on the list, that either may be members here or someone may know.
If you follow their page you will find many willing to go anywhere, it's a start anyway. It's possible they were busy with the many calls they get daily for help?

Reactions: Bnew17 and giles

Bnew17

Seems like you have it all figured out then. Good luck.....

I never said that…
I just dont understand his statement. By his reasoning the only way you would need a tracking dog is if you take an unethical or ill advised shot. There are many factors, some out of your control, that can lead to you potentially needing help finding a deer. Any experienced hunter would know that. I may kill another booner this year and if I don’t have a good blood trail, or if something doesn’t feel right. I may would call a tracker. So to assume somebody needs a tracker only because they took an ill advised shot is ludacris.

I do appreciate you posting the tracking list, and I will keep it with me.👍

Bigcountry40

I may get scolded by the admin. for this but fugg it. @Bnew17 you basically post once a year asking for info regarding your personal interest/needs, when you could easily obtain this info on your own by doing 10 minutes of research. So when you make another thread/post next year asking the same exact thing, expect a few snarky comments like ones above, including one from me. ;)

Last edited:

Bnew17

I may get scolded by the admin. for this but fugg it. @Bnew17 you basically post once a year asking for info regarding your personal interest/needs, when you could easily obtain this info on your own by doing 10 minutes of research. So when you make another thread/post next year asking the same exact thing, expect a few snarky comments like ones above, including one from me. ;)
If people didn’t post about their “personal interests” then there would not be a forum for useless drivel like what has been posted. Could care less about snarky remarks, but at least make a valid point.

Last edited:
If people didn’t post about their “personal interests” then there would not be a forum for useless drivel like what has been posted. Could care less about snarky remarks, but at least make a valid point.
I tried helping and you poo-poo'd the list I posted as useless because of last year. Mine was the first post trying to help and you had the attitude that it wasn't good enough. If you spent any time reading what these guys do on a daily basis during season you just might realize how busy they are. If they didn't reply perhaps you were too persistent or condescending? Or perhaps they were just too damn busy. That organization of trackers is the best you will find and most of them will bend over backwards to help a good person out by referring another tracker that might help.

Bnew17

I tried helping and you poo-poo'd the list I posted as useless because of last year. Mine was the first post trying to help and you had the attitude that it wasn't good enough. If you spent any time reading what these guys do on a daily basis during season you just might realize how busy they are. If they didn't reply perhaps you were too persistent or condescending? Or perhaps they were just too damn busy. That organization of trackers is the best you will find and most of them will bend over backwards to help a good person out by referring another tracker that might help.
Im sorry if my post (after you posted the list) came off the wrong way. I apologize, but i did (and do) appreciate the help. I can see how my reply came off wrong. Should have worded it better. My first issue came with brock, but hey its water under the bridge as far as i’m concerned. I wasn’t the one who called the trackers last year, my buddy did. It was his deer we had to track. I just remember the few he got a hold of wouldn't travel to our county or were wrapped up.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wish you luck on your hunt. As a guy who used to have a dog for tracking. . . I can tell you it is important to screen the calls. I wouldn't drive an hour, even 20min, without asking a ton of questions. Many calls tell you what you need to know. Person didn't know where they hit (or if they hit the deer). Person couldn't obtain permission for the dog and tracker. Multiple scenarios that scream "Run away from that job!"

I'm not saying this is what happened to you last year. Just saying, I'm thankful I don't do it anymore. I was really beginning to have horrible thoughts about most of the hunters in Ohio. It was disturbing. It opened my eyes as to why I should NOT take on tracks anymore. I don't want to feel this way about hunters.