Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mark’s 2020 season

rooster85

Lake County
I didn’t really post about most of my hunts this year so I figured I’d do a season report. First, a little background.

I grew up out west, we’ve only been in Ohio for 7 years but when we moved here I told my wife I’d give her 5 years then it’s back out west where we belong! Well, two kids and a house later were still in Ohio. It’s home. We love it. However, I miss my mountains, bugling elk, big mulies and spring bear hunts so I try and get out west to get my fix.

This season started rough, I was working a lot and didn’t get my food plot in on time then the Amish bought up the land next door. I didn’t see a single deer at home, in fact I still haven’t. I was lucky enough to take a nice door on the other farm though.

After the first doe I went to PA for the anterless muzzle loader weekend which is one of my favorite hunts out here. I hunted new ground that I’d only E scouted for a few months. Beautiful and PA rugged! I managed to skip in on some does feeding through a holler and dropped one. Another great eating doe!

I got her broken down and into my pack for the journey out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rooster85

Lake County
The PA hunt was a few days before I headed out to MT for a week and I was pumped for everything except for the drive! I worked most of the day Friday then drove to Madison WI and slept then did another 14 hours on Saturday, finishing the trip on Sunday with another 3 hours. 25 hours of solo drive time.

I drove right to my spot on Sunday morning, a crisp -7 morning and I was into deer within 10 minutes. Never hunted this spot, just E scouted it. About two hours into my hike I was looking at a herd of antelope 30 yards away when I glassed up a shooter mulie, he saw me at the same time and stood up, he was in a bachelor group of 10 bucks and they all stood up, a quick range at 276 yards and sent one just over his back and they bound out of my life lol.

I picked them up on Tuesday in the same coulee about 3/4 mile further north and put one through his neck in his bed from 310 yards, I had to belly crawl through the snow j to the wind to get that close! Easy part over.

As I’m loading his quarters into my pack I turn and see deer on the hillside staring at me! I start the pack up and out of the coulee, the warm weather made it awful as the ice became that notorious MT mud. My truck never looked so good! Getting off the mountain was fun in the mud too!

rooster85

Lake County
Now, I managed to get two doe tags but I decided that I was only interested in filling one of them. Down low there’s a field that I was seeing deer in every night and there was actually two really good bucks in there too. I snuck in one evening trying to nail a doe on her way in but she beat me do I just sat and glassed anyway. Saw a TOAD and another real good shooter but they’ll have to wait until next year. I snuck out at dark and decided I’d take one in the morning.
The next morning I slipped in and was crawling into position when an unseen doe busted me in the creek. She eventually took the whole crew with her unknown to me! I’m sitting behind these trees waiting on them to retreat but they went the opposite direction, FML. Now they have 15-20 minutes head start up the canyon. I ran the 3/4 mile to my truck then drove up and around the coulee hoping I’d cut them off. I parked and threw on my pack and ran. I figured I’d come out right on top of them but I was just a tad off. Some quick glass work and I found a good doe. 250 yards right through the neck and the east part is over again!

Easy pack out then I decided to head home.

I had been hunting hard at home and wasn’t seeing much, the rut was on and it was bound to happen right? I haven’t even seen a doe in the last few sits so I start hammering on the grunt tube and this buck comes out of nowhere!

He started walking off so I grunted as loud as I could and he came charging into 12 yards. Now, I do t shoot monsters like some of y’all but if a deer gets my heart thundering then I know it’s the one I want! I put one in him and he was the first deer I’ve shot with a mechanical that I could see blood pouring out. Second deer with a mechanical, the first being the doe I shot earlier in the season. Biggest body deer I’ve shot! I couldn’t load him up onto my quad.

rooster85

Lake County
After my Ohio buck I knew my only weekend to hunt PA again would be the rifle opener. Lots and I mean lots of hunters were out on Saturday. Everywhere I went I was met by orange. Well, whitetail hunting is relatively new to me but escaping pressure is universal. I hiked into a thick nasty area on Saturday evening and saw seven deer, rubs and scrapes everywhere. I’ll bow hunt that area next year.

Sunday morning I hiked in and was solo! Perfect! It’s a chilly 24 degrees. My first sit I saw 4 does and a small buck. I pushed in a little further just barely moving and stopped to film how pretty the scenery was and bam! A buck 100 yards in front of me, wind in my face. Honestly, I’ve killed a ton of animals and each time I see what I’m hunting whether it’s a buck, bull, cow or doe I get the shakes! I absolutely love hunting and if I ever lose that feeling I’ll hang it up and take up something boring like golf.

Anyway, he starts feeding off to my right and I have no shot! There’s a clearing and if he walks in it I’ll have a quick shot and I hammered him! He went a few yards and tumbled. Up the hill to see him and I’m still shaking!

Easy part done! I cut him up and stashed into my pack, this was only a mile from my truck but it’s in a hard to get into area and it’s all rugged! The perfect spot in my opinion.

I’ve had a very blessed season, one of my better seasons. The food and memories are priceless! My oldest daughter just turned six a few weeks ago and I’m planning on taking her on a “back country squirrel hunt” with a field lunch being cooked and hot cocoa! Thanks for letting me share with you friends!

rooster85

Lake County
Thanks everyone! I wasn’t even planning on hunting this much. If Covid hadn’t of happened we’d be down in Texas on a two year project so in a way a virus was beneficial in my hunting!

Fletch

Supporting Member
Must have missed this, but finally read it... What a great story and season to boot.... Job well done, Congrats.... Where about did you hunt in Pa.

Reactions: rooster85

rooster85

Lake County
Must have missed this, but finally read it... What a great story and season to boot.... Job well done, Congrats.... Where about did you hunt in Pa.

This year I only hunted about a hundred miles from home in 2F but I’ve hunted out close to Jersey near Scranton quite a bit as well.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Jamie

Ohio
congratulations on a damn fine season. wish I still had the desire and energy to run around and hunt everywhere like that, lol. I drove to NM by myself one time many years ago. 24 hours with a two hour nap at a rest area. I don't really like driving that much. :LOL:

Reactions: Sgt Fury

rooster85

Lake County
congratulations on a damn fine season. wish I still had the desire and energy to run around and hunt everywhere like that, lol. I drove to NM by myself one time many years ago. 24 hours with a two hour nap at a rest area. I don't really like driving that much. :LOL:

I love to hunt, it’s the only time I don’t mind driving!

Fletch

Supporting Member
This year I only hunted about a hundred miles from home in 2F but I’ve hunted out close to Jersey near Scranton quite a bit as well.

What the hell does 2F consist of.. Give me a town or county....

Reactions: rooster85