Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Midwest Whitetail Poor Man Foodplots

Great share! I've been there and done that the hard way. It's often worth the effort, but only if you love the process!

It is funny because in PA I have all the equipment to clear, till and prepare a plot. In Ohio I don't have any of that equipment to use so I am doing it the hard way. It really sucks having to do everything by hand. What I could do in a few minutes with the tractor takes me hours of back breaking labor.

Reactions: at1010

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Just my suggestion. If you are doing plots like this and you cannot mow them easily - I would really suggest focusing on a fall blend.

Honey Hole from Antler Kings is a great BOB seed blend, you can add some oats/rye and youll have a killer small plot.

Clover is great but you will probably have to spray it, mow it, etc. Thanks for the share, I enjoyed MWW

Just my suggestion. If you are doing plots like this and you cannot mow them easily - I would really suggest focusing on a fall blend.

Honey Hole from Antler Kings is a great BOB seed blend, you can add some oats/rye and youll have a killer small plot.

Clover is great but you will probably have to spray it, mow it, etc. Thanks for the share, I enjoyed MWW

Only issue that I have had with a fall plot that is small is sometimes the deer don't let it get established unless you plant a big enough plot or you put electric fence around.. This is more of an issue if it is in a drought year. For mowing a good weed whacker can make pretty quick work of a 1/4 acre plot.

Forr hunting purposes a fall food plot I think makes the best "kill plot". Deer just really like that new growth.

Reactions: at1010

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I agree with that, but I have had some good success in 1/8th acre plot with a fall mix IF and only IF I mix in grains. It seems it keeps the deers interest and allows brassicas to get established.

I also have issues in small plots with clover and having smart weed want to take over.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Clover is a bitch to maintain if you're as busy as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest, which I am most of the time. That said, the tonnage it produces is worth the extra effort for me. My smallest cloverplot is 1/10 acre and it produces 2-3xs more food than the best fall plot I've ever grown.

Reactions: cspot

twireman

Kingston, OH
My smallest cloverplot is 1/10 acre and it produces 2-3xs more food than the best fall plot I've ever grown.

This is why I switched to clover this year.... dad mows the trails twice a year already. He can mow the plot then. I can fertilize and spray at my convenience. Plus the benefit of it being there this time of year with milk production and antler growth. Frost seed the week spots every year.