Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mike Rex - North American Whitetail video

mrex

*Supporting member*
He was up in a tree filming another show for NAW yesterday. Haven't heard how it turned out yet, but hope they put something together.

Here's a slow motion clip of one that got away from us yesterday. First impression was that the shot was little high but still lethal based on the angle. After viewing the video frame by frame, there's no doubt the shot was "way" high and above the vitals. We were able to track the deer for over 1/4 mile, (just in case), but the deer never bedded and the blood trail eventually dried up.

The deer spots two gorillas in the tree from 15 yards out. The hunter, Pat Hogan, is shooting a new Mathews Heli-M. His arrow is traveling over 300' per second and the buck still drops a good 12" the instant he touches the release. I think it was Barry Wensel who said, "aim low for success." This is pretty good amo for those who think shooting out past 30 yards with archery equipment is a bad idea. Granted, this deer is on high alert but how often are they totally relaxed?

http://youtu.be/jBAu4TpsaVY

Speaking of long tracks...one of my good friends arrowed this giant buck yesterday afternoon. He thought the hit was low so we waited until 9:00 pm to pick up the trail. About 3 hours and 1/2 mile later we caught up to his buck and he was still alive.

His right side is over 80." The left is broken just past the g3.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Heck of a fast buck right there Mike. Looked like the hunters was aiming a little high to start with but that buck sure did drop quick and made a little error a huge one. As he turned and ran past the tree you can see the arrow sticking out just under the offside backstrap. Looks like that buck will live another day and have a helluva story to tell around the watering hole.

The biggest buck I ever shot with my bow only scores a few more inches then that bucks right side lmao. Very nice buck.