Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muskie, Northern Pike Lake Recommendations

I'd like to find a few lakes to hit with a kayak for muskie and northern pike. I realize I'm going to have to travel some distance, being in Lima (N.W. Ohio). Actually, if the Buckeye State doesn't have any good offerings, I may end up going north into Michigan or maybe even northwest into Wisconsin. I'm not crossing the border into Canada. 🚫

The last time I checked, Clearfork Reservoir had the state record for muskie. However, that's been some years ago and it have since been broken at a different lake. :unsure:

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. :)

whitetailjunky3

Lots of lakes in north east Indiana. Hamilton had a good population of northern pike and Webster lake is usually one of the top musky producing lakes for tournaments every year. Most are within an hour and a half drive from Lima as well.

Reactions: Bowhunter57

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Pike i can't help you with, muskie however is a passion of my best friend.
Alum creek (especially the spillway when they release a lot of water), pleasant hill, lake milton, piedmont all have good populations of muskies. Getting to them from a kayak is something I'd have to ask him about

Reactions: Bowhunter57 and OO2

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Pick and choose your days as far as wind, weather and boating traffic, but Lake St Clair is doable in a kayak (I’ve done it plenty of times) and has a very healthy population of both species you’re after.

Reactions: Big_Holla

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Hudson lake across the line in Michigan was a good musky lake. Sounds like fun but I don't know if I would want to mess around with one in a kayak lol.

Reactions: Bowhunter57
Alumn creek. Catch everyone of them. They are becoming a problem IMO.
If they're a "problem", I'd say there's plenty of them to be caught. (y):sneaky:

The actual Alum Creek State Park Kayak Launch is only 1 hour and 38 minutes of a drive for me. Sounds like a good place to start and the earlier the better. :cool: I could get out there before the motorized boaters get the place stirred up....plus that launch area is close to the dam.