Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

need a retaing wall built ?

Davidflorida

near rinard mills . se ohio 40 Foot . my hill keeps slipping away want something permanent . any one interested in giving me a price that has the equipment .

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Not a big fan of the guy but he can build a hell of a retaining wall, Casey's Landscape near Parkersburg WVa. Built me a Great Wall but we didnt hit it off on the other work he did!

40' in height? If it is that is a hell of a retaining wall and you may want to make sure you are getting something that will hold it.. Of course if it is Rinard Mills it would have to be as everything is straight up and down. :ROFLMAO: Been alot of hills sliding in that area of the state with all the rain we have been having.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Opposite corner of state as me. Height of wall, length of wall, drop/fall, what kind of soil you have to work with, load bearing, does it need to be signed off by an engineer. . . Tons of variables.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Whoever you use be sure to get a structural engineer involved with a wall of that size.

If it is remotely close to being structural, load bearing. . . .anything but decorative. . . .I would agree. We haven't heard back from original poster. Right now we only know "his hill is slipping." Some more details would be nice. We are sort of just guessing here. Some erosion is easily remedied with proper plant cover. Other erosion needs require a bit more. I'd venture a guess you know more about this than I do, Clay. Just living in rolling or mountainous areas force people to think about this stuff more than a guy like me who works in the field but lives in flat country. lol

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
If it is remotely close to being structural, load bearing. . . .anything but decorative. . . .I would agree. We haven't heard back from original poster. Right now we only know "his hill is slipping." Some more details would be nice. We are sort of just guessing here. Some erosion is easily remedied with proper plant cover. Other erosion needs require a bit more. I'd venture a guess you know more about this than I do, Clay. Just living in rolling or mountainous areas force people to think about this stuff more than a guy like me who works in the field but lives in flat country. lol

I worked for a structural engineer for years, cheaper to do it right the first time then to do it twice

David,

My camp isn't far from you at all if you are in Rinard Mills. Sometime if you want, I could meet you there and take a look at it if we are both down there for a weekend. I work for a Heavy Highway Contractor and we have repaired a ton of slides. I could at least give you an idea of what you are looking at cost wise and possibly giving you some ideas. Truthfully if the hill is just causing some inconvenience and not potentially damaging the house/cabin or something, you may be better treating the symptoms than coming up with a cure. If it is indeed 40' in height that is going to be an expensive retaining wall. I am sure this past 2 years with the wet weather it has probably been a pain as alot of places that don't typically have slides are sliding.

If you get a chance post some pictures and give us a better description of what is happening.