Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Broadheads

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’ve shot a bunch of deer with actual Phantoms. They look exactly like the heads pictured. Killed two does with them just last year. The first deer I shot with them was back in 1996 when a guy from Montana was making them - long before Muzzy bought them out and long before Muzzy sold. I’d call them effective but very weak and that is why I’m switching heads. I’ve completely destroyed them while shooting them through deer. Still, easy to sharpen and tough enough for a rib cage.
You guys do what you want regarding Chinese products. I’m trying to avoid them whenever possible. Maybe you’ve forgotten- they sent us a pandemic and own our political class. Screw China.

It will fail you one day on a less than perfect shot. I am going to build for "plan B" starting this year.
After reviewing my poundage for this recurve, penetration losses and less then acceptable accuracy (for me), it's more than likely that I will NOT be hunting with this recurve. 🙄 I had high hopes, but comparing it to my Obsession Fusion 7 for lethality.... AND knowing there's a very nice buck in the area, I can NOT in good conscience hunt with it. 👎😞

I'll use a heavy arrow set up on my Obsession Fusion 7 and get the end result I'm looking to obtain....and with a higher quality broadhead, like a Magnus. 💯😎

Bowhunter57

Reactions: Big_Holla and giles

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
You guys do what you want regarding Chinese products. I’m trying to avoid them whenever possible. Maybe you’ve forgotten- they sent us a pandemic and own our political class. Screw China.

I do agree with this thought. I already own about 150 of these. They're getting used.

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Yes, put the deer down in less than 20. 3 or 4 year old buck and 4 ribs, laying on top of the ground. So I would believe that only the ribs came in contact. Sure it was deadly, but that is complete failure of the broadhead. Shot was 18 yards and it is what took me to the Fairy Dust. Like using a screwdriver as a chisel. . .

A couple of weeks before this I shot a doe from 10'. Arrow snaked in and out of her almost the entire length of her. Looked like I almost cut her in half. Truth was that the arrow weaved in and out of the ribs. Never touched a vital but the damage was bad enough to kill her. Unethical in my mind and totally avoidable.

I've killed a bunch of deer with these heads. But I can no longer turn my back like it was okay. It is a disposable broadhead and priced accordingly. If you are comfortable with it, use it, but it is what it is. It will fail you one day on a less than perfect shot. I am going to build for "plan B" starting this year.
I have been shooting rages since I started bow hunting. Hogs, deer, the less than fortunate turkey and even some other small game taken with then. I have never had a complete meltdown of my broadhead yet. Probably due to the fact that I take a lot of pride in shot placement and dialing in my arrows. I agree with you though Giles. If they work for you shoot them. But as hunters we need to be worried about the quickest kill, the most ethical and how to properly prepare ourselves for those situations. This year shooting a rage no collar on an Easton axis 5mm with 77 grain inserts, lumenoks, custom Fletching, at a total arrow weight of 455 grains. Coming from my Mathews at 75#s ….. I’m not too worried about anything as long as my shot is good lol

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
vQqeT3AYg8S5O.gif

OH noes!!!

Reactions: Boarhead