Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nice 1yr jump

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Tried to find the thread from last year which showed jumps in antler growth from one year to the next. I failed. So here is my post with a deer that made a real nice jump. He isn't a monster but I think he is a cool looking deer. My buddy thinks he is 3 this year. I'm on the fence. Not sure if this is his second or third rack. Heck, some pics he looks like he has a swayed back. I think it is just the way he was standing. I guess I'm going with 3yr old but I'd say last year he had a small rack for a 2yr old. He looked pretty chisled last year around the rut in terms of body size. Feel free to chime in. Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me it is a different deer. Tell me I'm off on age. I believe it is the same deer and he made a big jump. Just curious as to other opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    315.5 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    417.7 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    417.4 KB · Views: 286

angelzd28

Not sure, either way I would almost, quite possibly with little doubt, 50% odds say that I'm not really sure, lol, Just kidding.
I think it would be safe to assume that's the same deer. My guess is 3.5, either way good looking deer

Reactions: hickslawns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It does appear to be the same deer and based on last year's pics, I'd agree with Red and say 3.5, although I could argue him at 2.5 too.

That is where I am. Last year's rack was either a weak 2nd rack or excellent first rack. His body last year looked better than most of my 1.5yr old deer. I'm leaning towards 3.5 with an okay rack. The one year jump was impressive. If 3yr old, I look forward to seeing next year's rack if he is around.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sure looks like it could be the same deer to me. But I'm really torn on his age. I look at last year's pics and I see a buck that could be called 1.5 just as easily as 2.5 years old. This year's pic doesn't show me a textbook 3.5 year old in my opinion, but I wouldn't be shocked by it either. I guess if someone held a gun to my head I'd say he's only 2.5 this year. And he made a good jump, but not what I would consider "huge" jump. Gotta remember you're comparing a velvet pic this year to last year's non-velvet pic. Velvet always makes them look bigger.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree nice jump but not above the normal jump. Prolly not a buck that has the “IT” factor but nice deer to see get a chance to grow another couple years. He might put on much more inches next summer though as well. I agree he could very well be 2.5 this year but either way he’s a ways from full potential. It could very well be same deer TOO but wouldn’t bet the house though. Thanks for sharing Phil.👍🏻

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I feel better. I feel like I'm getting better at aging on the hoof. This one has me scratching my head a bit. Seeing Jesse, Ric, Jim, and many of our veterans teetering between 2 or 3 makes me feel better. It is generally easier to determine 2-3 than say 4-5 or 6 or 7 for that matter. After 4-5 I pretty much can't tell unless I have a history.

If this is a jump from 1 to 2 then I'd agree it isn't a "crazy" growth jump. If he is two it tells me he will be fun to watch grow. If I ever shoot him it will be satisfying simply because he will be old. He won't likely be a deer shot because "look how big his rack is!" I sort of doubt he ever does much more than net P&Y. Net 140? That would be betting on the long shot, but we never know. That is what is so cool about deer to me!

I would also agree it is possible this could be a different deer. Then again, this property tends to hold a few deer until they are around 3 and they vanish after that.

I would agree with the others that the buck is probably either 2 or 3 and is tough to tell for sure.

However I don't think it is the same deer. At least I think. It is tough to tell from the pics but the pics last year look like the buck has a decent size white throat patch. The pics from the buck this year doesn't appear that it has much of a throat patch. Not the easiest to tell from the pics though.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would agree with the others that the buck is probably either 2 or 3 and is tough to tell for sure.

However I don't think it is the same deer. At least I think. It is tough to tell from the pics but the pics last year look like the buck has a decent size white throat patch. The pics from the buck this year doesn't appear that it has much of a throat patch. Not the easiest to tell from the pics though.
Great observation! Need to see if I have any pics with his head up more. Never picked up on that detail!