Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Budget Anchors AEP Purchase

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Tucked in among more than $70 billion in state spending priorities is a major item of importance to Ohio’s sportsmen. During negotiations between the House and Senate, Gov. Mike DeWine successfully advocated for $29 million for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources – Division of Wildlife to purchase the remaining 18,000 acres of the AEP Re-Creation Lands. In 2015, the power company announced its intention to sell the 60,000 acre property, which has long been used by Ohio hunters, anglers and trappers. It was thought that the state of Ohio would be first in line to purchase the prized property. The AEP tract amounts to 10 percent of all available public land for sportsmen.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Atta Boy! I cut my teeth beaver trapping on AEP in the late 70's early 80's with a long time family friend and outdoorsman that graduated HS with my parents in 1948.. I guess that's why I'm so enamored with the land I have now - 25% strip mined like AEP and the rest is stately unglaciated OH woodlands... Might have to donate some $ to the org that got this done.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Atta Boy! I cut my teeth beaver trapping on AEP in the late 70's early 80's with a long time family friend and outdoorsman that graduated HS with my parents in 1948.. I guess that's why I'm so enamored with the land I have now - 25% strip mined like AEP and the rest is stately unglaciated OH woodlands... Might have to donate some $ to the org that got this done.
The Sportsmen's Alliance had been leading the efforts behind the scenes for many, many years to make sure that land stayed accessible. I'm sure they would appreciate your contribution.