Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opinions on talking to a teacher

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I've been holding off still for a few reasons. I wanted to try and talk to my son a bit more about it, and see if I could gather more information without seeming like I was interrogating him. That can be tough on a topic like this, not exactly something you can just slip into conversations that are normally on Mario cart, or Sports Center. Second, the wife is completely opposed to going to the teacher. She understands my concern, but doesn't want to blow things out of proportion when we don't know everything.

So, last night I was talking to my son and saw the opening. I moved the conversation back to the marriage topic and asked how they were talking about it in school. Turns out that another class mate brought it up for one reason or another. My son couldn't remember why, but he mentioned that he thought his class mate saw something about it on TV or something, and thought it was silly. Then I asked what his teacher said, to which he replied that she just said that happens in other countries sometimes where boys can marry boys and girls can marry girls. That was about all I could draw out of him, but from the sounds of it I think she was probably trying to diffuse the conversation and move it along. Knowing the teacher somewhat from conferences and class visits, I don't think she's the type to try and push any agenda's. However you just don't know for sure. I'll probably still end up sending a simple note explaining what I had heard, and how I was curious as to what brought up such a topic in the classroom. We'll see how that goes, but it sounds like I may already know the response.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sean- Go with your gut. If you have a good feeling about the teacher's intentions, that should ease your mind. However, I would personally still talk to the teacher. At least question how it came up and how much discussion went into it. I know that would ease my mind personally. If you don't at least follow up on it, something like this can fester and make you have unnecessary tension with the schools and specifically that teacher.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've been holding off still for a few reasons. I wanted to try and talk to my son a bit more about it, and see if I could gather more information without seeming like I was interrogating him. That can be tough on a topic like this, not exactly something you can just slip into conversations that are normally on Mario cart, or Sports Center. Second, the wife is completely opposed to going to the teacher. She understands my concern, but doesn't want to blow things out of proportion when we don't know everything.

So, last night I was talking to my son and saw the opening. I moved the conversation back to the marriage topic and asked how they were talking about it in school. Turns out that another class mate brought it up for one reason or another. My son couldn't remember why, but he mentioned that he thought his class mate saw something about it on TV or something, and thought it was silly. Then I asked what his teacher said, to which he replied that she just said that happens in other countries sometimes where boys can marry boys and girls can marry girls. That was about all I could draw out of him, but from the sounds of it I think she was probably trying to diffuse the conversation and move it along. Knowing the teacher somewhat from conferences and class visits, I don't think she's the type to try and push any agenda's. However you just don't know for sure. I'll probably still end up sending a simple note explaining what I had heard, and how I was curious as to what brought up such a topic in the classroom. We'll see how that goes, but it sounds like I may already know the response.

A simple.. ""That's not something we talk about here"" Would have been a sufficient response from the teacher.. She had zero need to say or go into more detail than that..

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Sean- Go with your gut. If you have a good feeling about the teacher's intentions, that should ease your mind. However, I would personally still talk to the teacher. At least question how it came up and how much discussion went into it. I know that would ease my mind personally. If you don't at least follow up on it, something like this can fester and make you have unnecessary tension with the schools and specifically that teacher.

Agreed

A simple.. ""That's not something we talk about here"" Would have been a sufficient response from the teacher.. She had zero need to say or go into more detail than that..

And agreed again.