Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Paper Tuning Convert!

I recently visited a local archery pro shop, in Minster. Bill Ernst has ran The Archery Shop for many years and his experience shows in his customer service!

I took my Martin Cheetah ('09 model, single cam), to have new strings and cables installed. After the installation, Bill had me shoot the bow through his paper tuning set up. After a few changes to the string loop, I had a perfect bullet hole with fletching cuts. This method of tuning has shown me why I've had broadhead flight problems, in past years. I have my own paper tuning set up, as of my experiences with this one. I'm officially converted to using this method for arrow flight tuning.

Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to hear it went well and it sounds like you have confidence in your setup. That is what's most important. Me, personally, I'm not a proponent of spending a lot of time shooting through paper. There's just too many ways to screw it up... Poor form, torquing the grip, underspined or overspined arrows, fletching/rest contact, etc. Too many people get a poor or inconsistent tear, so they end up chasing their tails, trying to remedy a problem that may not even be there. I like bare shaft tuning and walk-behind tuning. To each his own.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Paper tuning is just one tool of many you should be using and I don't recommend it for people with poor form and/or people who can't shoot the same arrow 3 times in a row. Like JB said, it can cause you to chase your tail if your form and consistency sucks.

Glad it worked out for you. Confidence in your equipment is paramount to anything else.

Reactions: jagermeister

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I always start with paper and then bareshaft. Paper is a starting point. Dan you need yo Also spin test heads and be sure your broadhead to arrow shaft connection is true and square

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio

Reactions: "J"

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
I've gone to Bill's shop ever since I've started shooting bow. Bill himself is a superb guy and is willing to help a person out. I went there early this spring to get some new arrows and I asked bill what he recommended. He told me that he was tinkering around with his setup also and had a total of 2doz arrows fletched and was willing to give them to me to try. They ended up being cut to short for me but the offer was unbelievable in my opinion. He was willing to give a person over $200 in arrows just to try.

Lundy

Have you watched how an arrow actually comes out of a bow? Translate arrow flight to perfect little round holes in paper.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just curious, when was the last time you paper tuned a bare shaft from one of today's high-end equipment? Believe it or not, it does translate to bullet holes when done properly.

Reactions: jagermeister

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Video 1 - Berger button- completely different setup than today’s bows
Video 2 - shows how quickly the oscillating dampens at just 3 feet
Video 3 same as video 2
I break down paper tuning to one simple concept. Aligning the center of mass of the string along the same travel path as the center of mass of the arrow. When those don’t align, you have/get a moment or rotation of the nock centered around the center of mass of the arrow, causing a nock tear left or right.

Lundy

I used paper tuning on every bow I ever set up to help determine center shot and noc hiegtht. No doubt it is a useful tool. I also know that the distance from the bow that the paper is placed can be used to deliver the outcome one desires for a bow that is close to tuned.. I also know that arrows flex, they have too or the spline is to heavy for the energy being applied to realize maximum efficiency. I also know that shooting a bare shaft at distance, 15-20 yds not through paper reveals much more about bow setup that any paper test will ever confirm, bare shaft of fletched through paper close the the bow.

I encourage those that have perfectly tuned bows through paper to shoot a bare shaft at 20 yds and share your results

Time changes, equipment changes, but physics do not change.