Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's 2022-2023 season

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sunday night I saw pile. I'm hunting the only picked corn field I'm the area and only field that didn't get turned over within a mile. Too bad it is around 100acres and they come out wherever they want to. Saturday got to the stand and an upper back pain took a turn for the worse. Spasms and major pain and discomfort. Toughed it out because I had 8 bucks and 4 does in the field. Got to 200-250 yds but no shots offered. I wasn't taking that range of shot and there were some tre limbs in the way as well. I did have one doe come within 100yds with no shot but she was safe. Never saw my intended shooter. Did see a gimped up mature buck on his way down hill. Maybe 120". Dwarfed the others in size. Walked hunched up. Given the chance I would shoot him. Had 5 additional doe come out late. 9 doe total. 8 bucks. 3.5hrs.

Out again. Back and neck still jacked up. Saw my shooter 500yds away with 2 other bucks. They were heading to meet 4 does. Something spooked them and they all ran back to the off limits property. Now have 3 doe 300-500yds away but they fed away from me and out of sight.

I'm in the game. Stupid to be here in this much pain. Can't kill them from the couch. Needing some dumb luck now. Entering the golden hour.

Sunday night I saw pile. I'm hunting the only picked corn field I'm the area and only field that didn't get turned over within a mile. Too bad it is around 100acres and they come out wherever they want to. Saturday got to the stand and an upper back pain took a turn for the worse. Spasms and major pain and discomfort. Toughed it out because I had 8 bucks and 4 does in the field. Got to 200-250 yds but no shots offered. I wasn't taking that range of shot and there were some tre limbs in the way as well. I did have one doe come within 100yds with no shot but she was safe. Never saw my intended shooter. Did see a gimped up mature buck on his way down hill. Maybe 120". Dwarfed the others in size. Walked hunched up. Given the chance I would shoot him. Had 5 additional doe come out late. 9 doe total. 8 bucks. 3.5hrs.

Out again. Back and neck still jacked up. Saw my shooter 500yds away with 2 other bucks. They were heading to meet 4 does. Something spooked them and they all ran back to the off limits property. Now have 3 doe 300-500yds away but they fed away from me and out of sight.

I'm in the game. Stupid to be here in this much pain. Can't kill them from the couch. Needing some dumb luck now. Entering the golden hour.
Hang in there Phil, short time now and then you can relax.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dumb luck, meet Phil. Phil, this is dumb luck.

PXL_20230111_002813199.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Saturday- morning skunked. Evening saw 8 doe and 4 bucks to include a 3.5yr old in the 135 ish range. All 400-500yds away.

Hunts: 31
All day: 1
Afternoon: 1
Evening: 18
Morning: 12
Hours: 2.5/3
Deer seen: 0/12
Does: 0/8
Bucks: 0/4
In bow range: 0
Season totals:
Deer seen: 170
Bucks: 53
Does: 118
In bow range: 57

Season hours: 100.75

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sunday evening hunt results above.

Sunday morning: saw a group of 2 and a group of 3 does. No antlers.

Hunts: 33
Evening: 19
Morning: 13
Hours: 3/3.5
Deer seen: 5/17
Does: 5/9
Bucks: 0/8
In bow range: 3
Season totals:
Deer seen: 209
Bucks: 69
Does: 157
In bow range: 60

Season hours: 110.75

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Tonight; Out again. Back and neck still jacked up. Saw my shooter 500yds away with 2 other bucks. They were heading to meet 4 does. Something spooked them and they all ran back to the off limits property. Now have 3 doe 300-500yds away but they fed away from me and out of sight.
Continued: had three more does fed all the way across the field and back. Picked up one on the way over. Met two more on other side of the field. In the meantime the bucks and does that were spooked earlier came back out. I believe 16 was the total count. Unbelievable numbers versus what I've seen most of the year. Then again, every field within a mile had been turned and I was overlooking a roughly 100acre field of picked corn that had t been turned.

The herd of 12 came out at 450 and sort of headed my way. Got to maybe 350 yards when a pair of does started my way and they were on my side of the field. Walked by in bow range. I passed as the big herd was slowly easing my way. 10min shooting light remained. I procrastinated and the two in bow range moved out of range due to tree limbs in the way. Down to 5min left and the herd was only to about 350yds. They weren't going to make it to my side of the field before dark. The pair of does decide to .ake an appearance again. They took off on an angle towards the herd. Wasn't sure if I would get a shot as they were on an angle and I had to wait for them to clear some tree limbs between us. They got to 80-100yds out and I never really settled in on the lead doe (that I think was a fawn from this spring.) I make sure I am ready for the second doe and squeeze one off as she slowly walked. When the smoke cleared I lost track of her. I'm scanning the field feverishly. You see, my muzzle e loader and I have a toxic relationship. Our past isn't the greatest. Lots of issues dialing her in over the years and finding consistency. I was comfy to 100yds though. I found her in the field and she was break dancing. Flop. Get up. Backwards drop on her back. Sort of did a fish out of water thing a few times and was done. What a relief! Feeling very blessed considering my high hit/non fatal hit in a good buck earlier in archery season. And I had the swing and miss on a different shooter in gun season. Now I was hoping to seal the deal with a muzzle loader I don't have much trust in and I made it count. It is exactly what I needed to close out the year. Excellent season to get a shot at two high quality deer. Sometimes a plate of humble pie is needed. My streak beginning in 2013 is over. I do not intend on buying another tag. 2013-2021 is a dang good run and I am thankful for it. Even spoiled a bit. Granted, I did shoot a spike in our EHD year for the meat and he wasn't one to brag on. He was technically a buck. Lol

Hunts: 34
Evening: 20
Morning: 13
Hours: 2.5
Deer seen: 16
Does: 10
Bucks: 6
In bow range: 2
Season totals:
Deer seen: 225