Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pond Health

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Finally talked with our local ponds guys, who came out to collect a sample, and the clay is not settling out. Stopping by this week for 20 gallons of aluminum sulfate and 100#s of ag lime to treat it. I'm rigging up some jugs and plan to eliminate some of the big cats and turtles before we stock it. Hoping to see clear waters soon!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The consensus is that when it was tilled up 3.5 years ago, we lost all the thatch and it's been a slow build up since then. According to the fisheries guy, the clay particles can take on a an electric charge that makes them suspend in the water. The water sample he took still has not settled out some 2 weeks after they took it. The catfish and turtles can contribute to stirring things up, but they're not responsible for causing the suspension of the particles on the water column. It's a problem with many causes, but at least we have a solution.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
The consensus is that when it was tilled up 3.5 years ago, we lost all the thatch and it's been a slow build up since then. According to the fisheries guy, the clay particles can take on a an electric charge that makes them suspend in the water. The water sample he took still has not settled out some 2 weeks after they took it. The catfish and turtles can contribute to stirring things up, but they're not responsible for causing the suspension of the particles on the water column. It's a problem with many causes, but at least we have a solution.
That’s really interesting!

Hard water ions (ca, iron, etc.). That’s is why they suggest using AMS before adding gly to a spray tank.

I am curious if they want you to add the AMS first or after the lime to settle? Is it basically calcium, mg, and other + charged ions floating in the water?! I’m thinking lime first might help the Ca to bind up other ions and then possible combine with the AMS and settle thereafter?

super fascinating man! Thanks for sharing this journey.

Reactions: Big_Holla

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Add the AS first to change the ion situation, line to balance the pH since the AS will drop the pH.

Neat!!! It’s so amazing how people have figured this stuff out. I’d wonder if lime over time will make for more ions in suspension or since the disturbance will be minimized and stocked it Naturally balances itself out?

Someday I hope to have a pond similar to yours so I’m very intrigued!!