Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pond Management

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
I had a pond dug this past July but dont know crap about fish besides what the fish supplier told me. About a month ago I dumped a gallon and a half of FH minnows (2000ish). Id see them occasionally for a week or 2 after, now nada. A buddy that has a 2 year old pond has them everywhere. I do know they were in spawn when I transfered them, thats what i was told anyways so they were stressed. I acclimated them in the bags for 10 minutes before release. Roughly 60 of them went heads up, so i went and got another half gallon the next day. For about a week after, i had around 300-350 of them die off. Ill go looking for them about 2 or 3 times a week but theyre ghosts. Anyone dealt with this on stocking ponds? I put in 2 dead trees, 3 stacks of pallets, and 2 pyramids of 18 inch culvert pipes.

Screenshot_20231021_084509_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231021_084546_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231021_084402_Gallery.jpg
20231021_084257.jpg

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I used Jones Hatchery when I stocked my pond in Vinton county and they actually stocked the fish (minnows, sunfish, along with game fish). A few went belly up but not many. They have many package options and I’m sure they could test the water for you and steer you in the right direction.

Reactions: Hedgelj

Stressless

Keene, OH
Been stocking three fish ponds for 6 years or so. Have you tested the water? Your pond looks like a pothole pond from the pics - i.e., no water running into/out of it?

One of my ponds had a bunch of work done to it and that lowered the pH to 5.0, very hot, fish can't live it and so added the lime required and got it to 7.0 pH, added FHM as my 'canary' species they started triving and added a couple others this year. A really good resource is over at Pond Boss couple Doctorate level guys there at are extremely helpful.

Glad to chat PM if you want.