Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Question… new 100 amp service

Isaacorps

Columbus
I am now debating whether I should just power the pump with a gasoline engine. I know electric is super convenient, but the cost is astronomical in comparison. To buy materials, pay OE their fees, and run the electric… it’s going to cost around $5k. Now throw in a $50 per month meter fee. If I don’t run the pump at all that costs me $600 per year. So over the course of 10 years I’ll be in it for $11k. That same $11k would buy me 2,750 gallons of gasoline at $4 per gallon! For as little as I’ll be pumping (presumably) I don’t know if I can justify the cost of convenience.
Hard to disagree with that line of thinking. And even if the gas engine fails, you could you buy a new one several times for $11k assuming you couldn’t just repair it. This is the same reason we power our cabin with a generator versus permanent power.

Reactions: jagermeister

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I don't know shit about pumps or what your pumping but I see tractors hooked up to pumps all over out by the lake. Nice little tractor with a PTO that you could do other shit with when not pumping? Just thinking out loud here lol

Reactions: hickslawns

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know shit about pumps or what your pumping but I see tractors hooked up to pumps all over out by the lake. Nice little tractor with a PTO that you could do other shit with when not pumping? Just thinking out loud here lol
You’re on the right track too. I have considered that option as well because I have a ton of experience with PTO-driven pumps. I will have a tractor at some point, but I’d just rather not put excess hours on a tractor if I don’t have to. I have given thought to a detached, Diesel engine power unit with PTO though. I don’t know. I’m waiting to hear back from the pump fabricator… he may be too far along to switch gears now.

Reactions: GoetsTalon