Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Range gun for female

Left field

My wife’s best friend enjoyed shooting ,asked if she wanted a pistol to shoot at the range ,she asked for pink .It could be cerakoted , she doesn’t think she could shoot a person (burglar rapist 2 legged trash) on purpose any suggestions? thanks

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Take her too a gun store and have her handle as many as she likes. The one that feels best too her is what she should get. 9mm preferred but .380 would work as well.

Reactions: Left field

Left field

I've seen a ton of guns in my life and not one of them was gender specific.
she’s very new to shooting , didn’t enjoy the ar. 15 didn’t take my 40. ,but she seemed interested in that so mild recoil pistol she’ll enjoy , hopefully we can try out some at our local range

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
If someone is not going to shoot it and be as comfortable with it as a with a cellphone , I always suggest a wheel gun. Simple. Basic won’t jam and not as “complicated “as a semi.

If it’s only ever going to be used at a range… sky’s the limit after recoil tolerance is determined and how good it feels in her hand. Welcome the new shooter!

Last edited:

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Best option would to go and rent as many options as possible first. 22 autos can be a fantastic intro to getting comfortable with a firearm. There are some pretty popular options that mimic full size/ caliber modern handguns. Everyone makes one now, some of the more popular is the Ruger 22/45 lite, this gun has the ergonomics of a 1911 but with threaded barrel and a rail for a dot. The tarus tx 22 and Walther along with the new sig p322 and glock 44 are the same as there bigger brothers.
As for looking for full size full caliber do exactly that, most females are attracted to the small micro or compact.380s and 9’s because of there size and sometimes color options in the 380, just don’t….. they won’t like them very long and will not be pleasant to shoot. They are made to be carried and not shot. If she is interested in 9 or greater and I wouldn’t recommend the greater for a range toy due to cost and what’s the need. Find the full size 9 that she feels best out of any of the reputable companies and she will enjoy shooting it also. Especially if you put 147 gr for less of a snappy feel.
My wife usually shoots a her full size 1911 in 45 but she’s also had good training from some asshole that lives with her.

Left field

Best option would to go and rent as many options as possible first. 22 autos can be a fantastic intro to getting comfortable with a firearm. There are some pretty popular options that mimic full size/ caliber modern handguns. Everyone makes one now, some of the more popular is the Ruger 22/45 lite, this gun has the ergonomics of a 1911 but with threaded barrel and a rail for a dot. The tarus tx 22 and Walther along with the new sig p322 and glock 44 are the same as there bigger brothers.
As for looking for full size full caliber do exactly that, most females are attracted to the small micro or compact.380s and 9’s because of there size and sometimes color options in the 380, just don’t….. they won’t like them very long and will not be pleasant to shoot. They are made to be carried and not shot. If she is interested in 9 or greater and I wouldn’t recommend the greater for a range toy due to cost and what’s the need. Find the full size 9 that she feels best out of any of the reputable companies and she will enjoy shooting it also. Especially if you put 147 gr for less of a snappy feel.
My wife usually shoots a her full size 1911 in 45 but she’s also had good training from some asshole that lives with her.
really appreciate all the advice especially # grain (y)

Reactions: JOHNROHIO

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
most females are attracted to the small micro or compact.380s and 9’s because of there size and sometimes color options in the 380, just don’t….. they won’t like them very long and will not be pleasant to shoot. They are made to be carried and not shot.

My sister had a Ruger LCP in 380 and it was an atrocious gun to shoot. Snappy and rang the hand. My Kimber Micro 380 on the other hand is much better and not bad at all. Maybe it's the all-metal vs polymer pistol, I don't know. The Kimber is only 4 oz heavier at 13oz vs 9oz. I think it's all in the spring personally. The slide doesn't slam back with the force that the lcp did, seems to cycle much smoother under recoil. I guess that's why it costs 2x what the other one does. 🤣. At the end of the day, it still wouldn't be my first choice for a range gun, it is however great to carry on a daily basis.