Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Reloading Data Discrepancy

I have a Hornady reloading manual that was published in 2016. I was reading through it for some reloading data for a .357 Mag.
It shows Accurate #9 for a 110 gr. JHP @
12.6 grains @ 1300 fps
13.3 grains @ 1350 fps
14.0 grains @ 1400 fps
14.8 grains @ 1480 fps as a Max. or Red Load.

So, using the online reloading data from Hodgdon's Data Center page, shows this for the same bullet weight:
15.3 grains @ 1478 fps as a Starting Load.
16.9 grains @ 1677 fps as a Maximum Load.

In my opinion....:sneaky: I would say the online data is more current and/or more accurate as a guideline for max. loads, pressure data, etc. Just the same, I've been using reloading manuals, in as current of a publication as possible and never gave it a second thought. :cool: 2016 isn't that long ago and I think it's still safe, but the reloading component companies are always testing stuff and that's a good thing.
What's your thoughts and experiences on this thought? 🤔

Left field

I don’t reload but have some reloading manuals , I have the Lyman49th, 1st edition 2008-2015 I know them or Hornady came out with a newer version , have also heard what you saw online
DFCF3FD7-5760-4E62-B652-CFFCF432BB6A.jpeg

Reactions: P8riot

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The reason I have a bunch of reloading manuals is because of differences like this. First they are using different test guns. Second any change in any Component (brass, bullet, primer) makes a difference. 2 bullets of the same weight can have different shape and/or construction which can affect pressures.
I put more faith in printed manuals than those online. Not sure that’s based on anything other than being old.

I’ll check some of my manuals later and share the info.

@Ohiosam
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm with you on both being old and trusting written data vs. online stuff. 👍
I have a Lyman 50th Edition, Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading, Modern Reloading by Richard Lee and a very old version of Sierra Bullets that I've had and added supplements to it since 1977. The first 3 are decent manuals, but the last one is definitely out dated, but has some good reading on cartridge history.

I ended up loading some 110 gr. Hornady XTP bullets with 14.5 gr. of Accurate #9, which will be in the ballpark of 1400ish F.P.S. This will work fine for varmints. :cool: I need to get out to the rifle range and put these loads on paper, to see how they group and sight them in with my Holosun. 💯

Reactions: Ohiosam and P8riot

P8riot

Carbon, In
Agreed. I have 3 different manuals and then check with the powder maker. They are all different. Barrel length is a big x factor in their #s as well. I just pick a nice safe average to start and test. If it's safe in all the data references, it's bound to be OK.

Reactions: Bowhunter57