Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Savage Impulse

Straight pulls have been around a long time. This one is about 130 years old. You get the strength and accuracy of a bolt gun with increased speed.
View attachment 118407

First time I saw one of these (looks exactly the same as I remembered) was at a family reunion and my one uncle was shooting it. All the other relatives and my dad were looking it over talking about it and I was just there waiting to see him shoot it. Haven't seen one since until this thread and your post.

Reactions: Ohiosam

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
First time I saw one of these (looks exactly the same as I remembered) was at a family reunion and my one uncle was shooting it. All the other relatives and my dad were looking it over talking about it and I was just there waiting to see him shoot it. Haven't seen one since until this thread and your post.
Firearm technology is about at the end of the road. This is a rerun too sell something different. Tried electric ignition lol. Had a savage 110 308 ss heavy fluted barrel with a tricked out trigger very accurate

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Firearm technology is about at the end of the road. This is a rerun too sell something different. Tried electric ignition lol. Had a savage 110 308 ss heavy fluted barrel with a tricked out trigger very accurate
Most firearms innovations now are minor improvements, easier manufacturing, different materials. Sighting systems are an area with lots of potential. Caseless ammo might have some potential.

I have a very old copy of “Rifles and rifles shooting” by Charles Askins. There’s a line in there something to the effect “undoubtedly the rifle hunter of the future will use auto loading rifles.” And it went on to explain the advantages.

Reactions: Geezer II
Like Sam said straight pulls are not new. My great great uncle was in the Alpini in WW1. After the war he immigrated with a Budapest manufactured 1895 mannlicher straight pull carbine he took as a war trophy. The action on it is not nearly as smooth as my K31. Having that rifle around when I was a kid started my fascination with straight pulls. My grandfather also had a FN Browning T-bolt .22 that I got to shoot on occasion.

Yes...but 6.5s are not... ;)

6.5 / .26 cal and .25 cal cartridges are great. They sit at the ballistic intersection of having the fast and flat shooting attributes that .30 calibers lack and having knock down power that 6mm and smaller calibers lack. I have own/owned a few 6.5x55 swedes, a 25-06, a .257 roberts and a 6.5 lapua. The 6.5 creedmore gets shit on by a lot of people because it is one of the few 6.5 cartridges to catch on in the US. 6.5 creedmoor fanboys and gun mag writers can be annoying but it is a good cartridge.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
You're not killing whitetails at ranges where the 6.5 ballistics matter. I'll stick with my 300 win mag. It drops them within sight every time. And then I can take that same rifle and hunt any North American big game.

Last edited: