Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scaredy Cat!

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Let's here some of our best scared the crap out of me stories!! They can be self induced or just plan scary situations!

Mine was after getting settled into my stand and setting in the dark, waiting on first light, when all the sudden there was this whooooosh whooooosshhh and some thing smoked me in the side of the head!!!!! Fuggin owl must of thought I was a squirrel or just didn't like me!! Talk about crapping your pants!! It took me a while to settle down after that!

The other is after watching a big foot or scary movie that takes place in the woods I freak myself out thinking I'll be the first bigfoot murder victim documented in the U.S or murdered by some crazy freaking serial killer! I tend to not watch those anymore.......even though I know better when I am walking in the woods, there is some thing about the human brain playing tricks on ya!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I had a good one this turkey season. I roosted a bird the night before, made my natural ground blind in the dark, and snuck back in the next morning. He gobbled on the limb, I soft called to him, he gobbled back, and I shut up. Didn't hear anything for 5-7 minutes when all of a sudden the loudest gobble I've ever heard came from no more than 10 feet behind me, damn near shit my pants. He came up the gas line behind me and came right down the trail into the Alfalfa I was sitting on. There he stood, a mere 3 feet in front of me, couldn't do shit at that point since I had my bow.

teej89

NE PA
Archery season with my dad as a kid, 12, I didn't go anymore than 10ft up a tree in my climber and he was in a tree 50-75yds away. A bear walked up in front of me and I was watching him rip up logs and eat grubs for like 5 min. Then I decided trying to get my dads attention by hitting my grunt tube (no cell phones) and when he finally looked over He pointed to his eyes then pointed between his legs, I looked between my legs and there was the bear climbing my tree sniffing my feet through my base hahahaha only a small 2yr old but still scared the hell outta me, I yelled at em and he barreled off.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My big scare was when I was in Alaska. We hunted the mainland for 2 weeks and were coming back by a small fishing boat to Petersburg Island. My friend wasn't paying attention and swrived the boat and water even came in over the side. I yelled at him and he was pissed.
Then I thought here I set with no life vest due to the water was too cold and you would only live for a short time in the water. I had on my Ruger 5" pistol with cartridage holder and knife. I would have sunk like a rock if we did go into the water. I took that off and was scared to being shitless. One the few times I came close to death.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I'd be lying if I didn't say I've havent climbed up my stand as fast as I could after hearing something behind me. my buddy is scared of the dark and thinks big foot is real atleast once a year I get him good while waiting on him he carry's one of the biggest lights I've ever seen

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Still hunting on an oak flat scanning up ahead taking each step like an ancient ninja warrior on weed I got clobbered on the head by a piece of deadfall off a white oak that was the size of a baseball bat. Nearly knocked me senseless and hit me without warning as it was a very calm afternoon. After coming to my senses I turned around and was like.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4trn2lJxl00

Cuz I thought I got snuck up on and clubbed...rotflmao

Last edited:

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I had a good one this turkey season. I roosted a bird the night before, made my natural ground blind in the dark, and snuck back in the next morning. He gobbled on the limb, I soft called to him, he gobbled back, and I shut up. Didn't hear anything for 5-7 minutes when all of a sudden the loudest gobble I've ever heard came from no more than 10 feet behind me, damn near shit my pants. He came up the gas line behind me and came right down the trail into the Alfalfa I was sitting on. There he stood, a mere 3 feet in front of me, couldn't do shit at that point since I had my bow.

Oh yea, love that tucka tucka sound and can't see it!!!! At least that is what its sounds like to me when their that close.

Mine happened while I was duck hunting at Killbuck Marsh. I hunted from an 8' aluminum Jon boat that I had added a small plywood front and rear deck on. I sat in the floor of the boat while hunting. Getting to my spot on the marsh was done by using a 6' paddle as a push pole while kneeling on the rear deck facing the back of the boat. It usually took 45 minutes of pushing to reach my favorite area.

This was a very cold December morning with most of the marsh ice covered. I broke though the ice as needed and finally arrived to my area, still dark with plenty of time to set decoys. I turned around on the rear deck and put my boots on the floor of the boat, SPLASH!! I turned on my flashlight and the boat is nearly half way full of water. To say I panicked is an understatement. I spun around on the rear deck and headed towards the nearest place I could reach shore. Shore was only about 150 yards away. But, I ran aground due to the water in the boat about 40 yards from shore. At this point I know I am at least safe. What's a guy to do now. I took off my boots and then stripped down to my skivvies. I hated getting it that cold December water, but had no choice. I first took in my gun and pack, then a trip back to get decoys and my clothes. I finally had the boat emptied of my gear and then tipped the boat on its side to empty most of the water. I got the boat to shore dried best I could with my insulated underwear I had on that morning and redressed. I then loaded the boat and pulled it along the snow covered ground for over 1/4 mile back to where I could reach it with my truck. I never went in the boat again without some JB weld for a quick repair. I had somehow put a tiny puncture in the bottom of the boat that morning. I had it repaired the next day and she was as good as new. I sold the boat to a guy a couple years ago and gave him the JB weld after I had told him this little story.

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I'd be lying if I didn't say I've havent climbed up my stand as fast as I could after hearing something behind me. my buddy is scared of the dark and thinks big foot is real atleast once a year I get him good while waiting on him he carry's one of the biggest lights I've ever seen

I am telling ya, the one time a Mountain lion or bigfoot strolls through my neck of the woods he is going to get me!!!

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Mine happened while I was duck hunting at Killbuck Marsh. I hunted from an 8' aluminum Jon boat that I had added a small plywood front and rear deck on. I sat in the floor of the boat while hunting. Getting to my spot on the marsh was done by using a 6' paddle as a push pole while kneeling on the rear deck facing the back of the boat. It usually took 45 minutes of pushing to reach my favorite area.

This was a very cold December morning with most of the marsh ice covered. I broke though the ice as needed and finally arrived to my area, still dark with plenty of time to set decoys. I turned around on the rear deck and put my boots on the floor of the boat, SPLASH!! I turned on my flashlight and the boat is nearly half way full of water. To say I panicked is an understatement. I spun around on the rear deck and headed towards the nearest place I could reach shore. Shore was only about 150 yards away. But, I ran aground due to the water in the boat about 40 yards from shore. At this point I know I am at least safe. What's a guy to do now. I took off my boots and then stripped down to my skivvies. I hated getting it that cold December water, but had no choice. I first took in my gun and pack, then a trip back to get decoys and my clothes. I finally had the boat emptied of my gear and then tipped the boat on its side to empty most of the water. I got the boat to shore dried best I could with my insulated underwear I had on that morning and redressed. I then loaded the boat and pulled it along the snow covered ground for over 1/4 mile back to where I could reach it with my truck. I never went in the boat again without some JB weld for a quick repair. I had somehow put a tiny puncture in the bottom of the boat that morning. I had it repaired the next day and she was as good as new. I sold the boat to a guy a couple years ago and gave him the JB weld after I had told him this little story.

Dang Dick! What a terrible way to start a day or hunt! Ugggh