Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scents?????

Fletch

Supporting Member
I'm not a big scent man and am a firm believer the best scent is: "no scent"... But... Does anyone have a favorite that might make a buck show up during daylight hours???? I'm hoping they start chasing any day now and there's more daylight movement...

NE-Oh-Hunter

NE Ohio
I agree but I have also successfully used Tinks 69 over the years. I have had bucks literally follow my trail to my stand. I think a lot of people mess up by not using scents when they should (e.g., time of year) or how they should.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and Fletch
Deer scents have always been hit or miss for me. I've tried many over the years and Wildlife Research Special Golden Estrous was one I had decent results with when used in places there was plenty of sign like Dave said. Was it the scent or the sign, who knows. I am a big fan these days on mock scrapes but the scent left behind is generally from the deer there as they visit, other than if I had a full bladder as I walked by.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and Fletch

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I use Black Widow Buck Butter on scrapes and apply a little dab on my tree or blind when hunting. I also use Evercalm. Both smell like deer in a bottle, but I use them for cover, not attraction. The Buck Butter is meant to attract, but I don't have faith in that. What I do trust, is that it smells like a rutted up buck, and if that smell is wafting in/along with my odor, it can only help buy me time.

Buckmaster

Portage
I gave up scent systems about 5 years ago. Now I don’t have to buy, carry, or mess with them. If I had to pick one it would be Evercalm. I do use buck tarsal glands from my freezer mid November only.

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Thanks guys.... Like I said earlier, I'm a believer in no scent is the best scent... Just thought maybe try something as I have a few bucks in different spots that are on cam every night....Not moving during daylight hours... Guess once a doe goes into heat all bets are off... Save my money instead of throwing it away... Like Dave said... Hunt the sign in the woods..

Reactions: giles and Big_Holla

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Tarsal glands off a fresh buck kill or a doe kill is a good option. Take a knife and poke a hole in the center of each one. Take a string and tie a gland on each end. Hang over a tree branch preferably upwind of your stand within the shooting range you need. Sit back and wait for a buck to get a whiff of that intruder or new doe in his area. Keep the tarsals in the freezer in a zip lock bag when not hunting. They will stay fresher.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I generally go scent free, however I do have one setup where I'll set a Wildlife active mock scrape drip set early into the season, usually fill it no more than twice, usually the first two weeks of October just to kick things off in the area. At the same setup, I have a crow's nest hanger set that allows me to hang some small pine branches just below my hang-on, both for cover & a cover scent. It's also the same setup where I have a pine licking branch setup approximately 25-30 yards away from my tree. That particular setup is near our alfalfa field and on the opposite side of that field are our large pine trees where I get deer scrapes underneath them every season. Other than that, I do not use anything else, including not using any kind of sprays on myself.

I have used tink69s in the past though with good success at a different county many years ago. I wouldn't use them where I hunt today though. I believe the deer are on to that shit. I have seen them on the property, but much further away from where I hunt.

I attached a last season's example of the crow's nest item below showing it attached just below my hang-on stand. There are no other branches below in that tree for cover, it's fairly wide open, so it seems to workout quite well for me. Never have I been busted while having deer right underneath me several times.

Attachments

• 20180318_185002.jpg
    20180318_185002.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 2019-10-29 15.03.05.jpg
    2019-10-29 15.03.05.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: Fletch and Sgt Fury

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Tarsal glands off a fresh buck kill or a doe kill is a good option. Take a knife and poke a hole in the center of each one. Take a string and tie a gland on each end. Hang over a tree branch preferably upwind of your stand within the shooting range you need. Sit back and wait for a buck to get a whiff of that intruder or new doe in his area. Keep the tarsals in the freezer in a zip lock bag when not hunting. They will stay fresher.
I’ve done this off and on for 30 years. I only use doe glands and they work like a charm until they start to sour. Aside from the freezer, salt the flesh side to extend their life. As chad said, keeping them in a ziplock is key. Those things will leak fluid for a week.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Only scent I ever did have results was Davy Bracken's, it was made (collected) in Western Pa. Where I was born.