Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scope issue

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I have a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 on my Ruger 450. It is currently stuck on 5 power. The adjustment dial will not move either way. I contacted Vortex and they said I could send it back but to try adjusting the windage and elevation to see if that frees it up. If one is maxed out it could cause the variable adjustment ring to freeze up. Does this make any sense?
I don’t think either is maxed out and I’m not messing with it until I’m done with the gun for the season. The scope is most likely going to be returned regardless.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
That sucks man! I know that Vortex no questions asked life time warrantee policy will replace it for you. I hope you make through the rest of the week with it, or better yet, put one down successfully.

Good luck!

Reactions: Spencie

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The good thing in all of this is 5x will work in most cases. Sucks that it’s stuck but it’s good vortex stands behind their products

Reactions: Spencie

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I'm not an optics engineer, but that seems like a really odd correlation to me.
On most scopes there is a tube holding multiple lens that runs from the eyepiece to the turrets. Turning the screws in the turrets moves the end of the tube to change the point of aim. I guess I could see a situation where the tube binds the power adjustment ring.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Since I can never sleep until daylight I just looked into this problem. First I tried the elevation and windage adjustments to see if they were maxed out. They weren’t and that didn’t change anything. Next I loosened the scope rings. Bingo, I moved the scope 1/16” and the variable adjustment was freed up. I thought that might be the issue but wasn’t going to mess with it during season. Now to get some range time and it’s ready to go.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
@Spencie
Mike since you’re going too sight it back in, you might want too pull the rings off and match the dimensions and see if there’s any significant difference be them. Even go as far as lapping them. Might preclude this from happening again.
Using alignment bars and lapping the rings is the best procedure when mounting a scope and torquing the screws - right on J

Reactions: Jamie

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Yep 61kscvsoOLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
61kscvsoOLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Ohiosam