Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scope mounting

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
I have with my last few scopes. Buddy bought the kit and we would drink coffee, BS and do it...

Cool only way to go - i found that swaping the rings from front to back and turning them around you can pick up a difference in alignment and find a sweet spot that is close befor you lap them - suprising how off some can be out of the box

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Cool only way to go - i found that swaping the rings from front to back and turning them around you can pick up a difference in alignment and find a sweet spot that is close befor you lap them - suprising how off some can be out of the box
Yep, that alignment tool was an eye opener...

Reactions: Geezer II

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Yep, that alignment tool was an eye opener...

Well i got asked to leave a gunshop down in Nelsonville some years back - was turkey hunt n the wayne and stopped in the gun shop and was look n around. Well this guy behind the counter was scope n a rifle and i was watch n his technique - he was just go n from box ta rifle screw it on. I said Hi want me ta bring my tools down next time i come and show ya how to scope a rifle. Well he took it the wrong way and said you buy n or look n. I said look n he said come back when your buy n and leave your tools home - wtf i was try n to be helpfull

Reactions: Sgt Fury

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Never lapped a set of rings before. Always just laid a scope in and tightened stuff down. I probably shouldn't ever go down that road... that does not sound like an OCD-friendly task. LOL

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I too bought the kit including lapping stuff and torq wrench. I've used all but the lapping stuff to date...
Will try it if I ever add or switch out the next scope.
So far, I was happy with the papering so I didn't need to.