Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Season is over. Went down swinging!

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Sounds like you had a fine season taking four deer... Not very many guys can do that when there is hardly any deer to be killed...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like you had a fine season taking four deer... Not very many guys can do that when there is hardly any deer to be killed...

The first was in Hocking county. Not sure if I should count it. There were so many deer down there I climbed out of my tree every night and I could walk on their heads to my truck. HOWEVER, it is all leased up land. Outfitter owned or leased and food plots galore. I feel it is one of those pockets where there are a ton of deer. Then again, at night you had to be really careful as well. They packed into the pastures and fields along the roads. Too bad I never saw a buck I would consider a shooter.

There again, the three up here were all on managed property as well. Drop in 20 acres of food plots, factor in the pressure the neighboring properties down the road bring, and you just created a honey hole. On the other 3 properties I hunt in Allen county, I was skunked EVERY single hunt except one. That was a late season hunt where I saw 13. They came out of a Camp that does not allow hunting. Imagine that?

Maybe if I had more clear shots without trees buggering me up, I would not have been filling my last tag on the last day of the season too. hahah I swear I killed more tree limbs with arrows this year than deer (or so it seemed.)

Thanks again everybody! This doe yesterday was a sweet victory and exclamation point on my season. It was just one of those hunts that tested you. Buck or doe, if they are mature and late season, it is no easy feat. If you are as sucky at hunting as I am, you just close your eyes and squeeze the release. . . or so JD tells me. lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He's just better than the rest of us no-deer-killing-losers. We're out gunned!

I know there is sarcasm there, but I don't think it was exactly just me. You are talking about 3 does taken on a property with 20 acres of food plots and a resident herd of 20-30 does. It certainly helps to kill them when you see them. Take that property out of the equation and the one in southern Ohio, and I am not sure I would have tagged a single deer this season. Pockets brother. Pockets. I have access to one pocket of ground crawling in does.