Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sleeping bags

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
There are many variables and ways to look at your sleep system. These can impact price dramatically.

What sort of priorities do you need out of your sleep system? Ergo do you sleep in a cabin/camper on a mattress or a cot? or are you on the ground using a sleeping pad? What temperature extremes are you normally in? How warm or cold do you sleep? My wife and I can sleep in the exact same conditions wearing similar clothing and she routinely requires a 15-20+ degree warmer bag than i do.

Once you have an idea of why you need the bag and under what conditions you will be using it the other details start to fall into place.

What are you sleeping on is almost a important to keep you warm as the bag. You want insulation to keep you from conduction or convection heat loss. In cooler weather make sure your bag fits the pad and doesn't slide off. Some brands make pads that are designed to fit into certain bags. They now have pads designed for side sleepers which they didn't have a decade or more ago.

Down vs synthetic. Down is lighter and packs smaller as a general rule. Most downs lose almost all their warmth if they get wet however. The higher the number of the down (850 compared to 600) the higher the compression and the hive the price of the down. There are some synthetics that are getting closer to down in ability but not completely there yet. Synthetics do not as a rule compress as small as a similar down bag.

Mummy vs straight. Mummy will ALWAYS be warmer but some people cannot do the snugger fit.

Weight and size. The heavier the bag the more you or something has to carry out from point A to where you're sleeping. Not a big deal for us at Paint Creek in the spring but for my buddy hiking the AT its a real choice. How small does it pack down to? This may or may not matter to your use. Storage! All sleeping bags should be stored UNCOMPRESSED to avoid loss of loft which is the insulating property of down or synthetics.

Temperature rating. This is based upon how how you sleep and what conditions you'll use it in. What you sleep in also has some consideration. Most bags are rated at a "survival" temperature meaning you can survive in it at that temperature but no claims to actually being comfortable or sleeping. Some companies offer "comfort" temperature rating so check to see which it is.

So these variables all play into the price. A 15° down bag that can compress smaller than a Nalgene bottle will be exponentially more expensive than a 55° synthetic bag for car camping that's the size of a propane tank. What is important to you?

I have different bags for different purposes. I also use sleeping bag liners or a wooby to extend temperature ratings if needed. But the bag you'd see me use in the late fall at Strouds is not the one I'd use at the summer shoot (the 💩) even if i was using all the same other gear.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Great info, Doug. I have a few different options, although I rarely use them. That said, they're all stored in the Armaggeddon Room downstairs and if we need them, they're there.

Reactions: Big_Holla

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have an old (35+ years) field and stream bag, it’s served me well on the majority of occasions it’s come in use. But 40’s and below tent camping? Yeah, it down right sucks. The wooby helps but an updated bag would really help out.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Awesome info bud. I have a canvas bag from Cabellas. It has like a carhart style outside and a quilted felt inside. I've used it from around 0 all the way to 70. When it's around freezing I'll wear sweats, socks and a beanie. Above 60 and I leave the side unzipped. What I like most about it is it's a giant rectangle so plenty of room to move your legs and feet. The downside is you aren't hiking anywhere with that thing. Roller up it's probably 16 inches across and 3 feet long.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have probably 8-10 different bags at home.

My wife and i had nice Kelty down bags that are over 15 years old that we used for backpacking that aren't nearly as warm as they used to be.

She has a nice down 15° marmot bag that she uses for cooler weather and could backpack with.

We have a 2 person mummy bag we've never used because we've never needed something that cold yet for both of us.

We have multiple summer bags of the REI brand for car camping or sleepovers for our kids.

I have 2 different liners or woobies i use in the summer.

My son has a decent 30 degree synthetic bag for Scouting.

I have 2 of the (complete) military sleep systems.

I also have a different set up for my hammock because sleeping bags aren't ideal for that. It's comfort rated to 20 and I've taken it below 30 and been fine.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Wtf, no mention of a bivy? Or did I skim over it? Lol. I'll add once I get my time. Doing a great job, keep talking. 👍🏾👍🏾
A bivy to me is just a different shelter option. Now yes a bivy can give you extra degrees of warmth with a bag inside a tent but i see its primary use as a smaller/ lighter shelter option.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
My dad got me an Eddie Bauer down bag back in the mid 80s. It's all I use. During warmer times, I sleep on top of it. Other times inside. Just not gonna pack it too far. It's on the heavy and bulky side.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Still use the old rectangle canvas bag. Have winter camped in the snow up to nice fall temps and it works great. The best thing I have learned about sleeping bags is to get in them with minimal clothing on. Made the mistake of going to bed fully dressed thinking I was going to stay warmer. Wrong. The heat retained by the bag can't get to you if you have layers on. Air mattress between bag and ground. This was Ludington state park on a ice fishing trip.
IMG_20230321_171701256.jpg

Last edited: