Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

So Much For Dicks Sporting Goods.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
F4A991DA-0FAB-4200-AFCE-E3D1FAF0A0CB.gif

This is what I think of them and their score card......

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I like how they always try to spin this as their shithead move hasn't really hurt them. They start throwing terms around like comp sales and stock prices. Here's the reality. The holiday season was stronger this year for retailers than the previous years and had nothing to do with consumers responding positivly to their decision to remove ARs and raise the age limit. As for their stock price being up, it was in the shitter and the economy is growing. But the writing is on the wall in their continued disinvestment in the hunting market, hunters have boycotted them to the point that they have to cut that market loose. And their Field and stream stores are in trouble too. I look for them to be sold this year. Would be good market locations for the overpriced Bass pro / Cabela's conglomerate to pick up small stores.

Reactions: Big_Holla

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like how they always try to spin this as their shithead move hasn't really hurt them. They start throwing terms around like comp sales and stock prices. Here's the reality. The holiday season was stronger this year for retailers than the previous years and had nothing to do with consumers responding positivly to their decision to remove ARs and raise the age limit. As for their stock price being up, it was in the shitter and the economy is growing. But the writing is on the wall in their continued disinvestment in the hunting market, hunters have boycotted them to the point that they have to cut that market loose. And their Field and stream stores are in trouble too. I look for them to be sold this year. Would be good market locations for the overpriced Bass pro / Cabela's conglomerate to pick up small stores.

Or an opportunity for smaller chains to grow and compete with Bass Pro/Cabela's.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Or an opportunity for smaller chains to grow and compete with Bass Pro/Cabela's.

Would be nice but at this point the bar has been set extremely high for competitive pricing. I went to the Cabela's in Columbus with a co-worker who was looking for something about a month ago. Three instances I completely laughed out loud at some of the prices. Cabela's was always high but since Bass pro purchased them the prices have gone through the roof. If something is 30% overpriced the smaller competitors will only price 5% or so below that, then it's still 25% overpriced compared to places like Amazon.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Would be nice but at this point the bar has been set extremely high for competitive pricing. I went to the Cabela's in Columbus with a co-worker who was looking for something about a month ago. Three instances I completely laughed out loud at some of the prices. Cabela's was always high but since Bass pro purchased them the prices have gone through the roof. If something is 30% overpriced the smaller competitors will only price 5% or so below that, then it's still 25% overpriced compared to places like Amazon.
Amazon is to in-person retail shopping what social media is to face-to-face conventions. I’ve always thought Cabela’s was overpriced save for a few decent sales and the bargain cave. I have, on occasion, used their price matching policy to my advantage however

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I was at Cabelas on Tuesday. Their prices have definitely gone out of sight. Some sale items I noticed are still over priced compared to others. If it wasn't for Joy loving their praline fudge, I'd never go back inside.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I was showing a buddy sights on AliExpress the other day that were being sold for around 15 bucks. They were trophy ridge and spothogg sights without the stickers which under their brand name sold for $150 -$200. We looked up a bunch of other archery stuff also like the bohning strining string separator which was $9 at cabela's and $1 on AliExpress. Hunting shit is getting to be like matresses, jewelry and furniture with 10-15x markup for shit made in China.