Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Soup's On

Jamie

Ohio
Soup weather has officially arrived in Licking County. 8*, 20mph wind blowing snow all around with some snow showers off and on. Today I make stock, meatloaf for dinner, and work in the shop. Tomorrow I make vegetable beef soup.

IMG_4313.jpg

IMG_4314.jpg

The contents of the baking sheet are now in covered stock pot under a couple of inches of water in the oven set at 190* for 8 hours or so.

Jamie

Ohio
Since discovering how much I like bone marrow from making Osso Bucco a few times, I decided to save all of those beef bones chock full of marrow now that they are done simmering for my stock. Tomorrow, I breakfast on bone marrow and collagen (and maybe some eggs) like the feral Homo Sapien I wish I could be.

Jamie

Ohio
Vegetable beef soup found a new plateau this time. After I scraped all the marrow from 6 lbs of beef bones this morning there was a quite a bit more than I could eat for breakfast, lol. About 3 cups worth, to be exact, and I added it back to the soup when I put it all together. What an amazing addition to the flavor and texture of the soup. Richer and silkier than I could have imagined. Nancy says it's the best batch ever, and I could not argue that claim. Never again will I toss all of that bone marrow into the trash. We are both suffering a mild case of Stendahl Syndrome right now.

Vegetable beef soup with cheesy toasted baguette.
IMG_4318.jpg