Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

South East Ohio Timber

reffitt20

What tree species should I be eliminating to improve the stand? I usually am more willing to cut a maple or beech if it’s crowding out a good looking white or red oak or even a nice popular. Any tree advice is appreciated.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Have your local forestry guy come out and write up a plan for your property. They can help you manage it for timber, or wildlife or both.
Or hire a master forester. They will also help to come up with a plan.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Tough answer without knowing the woods. If it doesn't produce acorns or soft mast, it's not much use to deer. But a big black walnut is worth it's weight in gold, so it should be forgiven its trespasses. I'm with the others, engage a forester and use some of the public resources available to you to make educated decisions.

Reactions: at1010

Stressless

Keene, OH
Here's a real good thread on getting into the OH woodland TSI and wildlife stewardship programs. There are others, just search CAUV in the forum.

Thread 'TSI, Forestry, EQUIP' https://theohiooutdoors.com/threads/tsi-forestry-equip.27531/

Your outcomes verbalized and or written, whether maximum return for timber, maximum wildlife value or something in between are what will allow the professionals to dial in a plan to meet your goals.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Fletch

Supporting Member
Tough answer without knowing the woods. If it doesn't produce acorns or soft mast, it's not much use to deer. But a big black walnut is worth it's weight in gold, so it should be forgiven its trespasses. I'm with the others, engage a forester and use some of the public resources available to you to make educated decisions.
Gotta disagree about the acorns or mast crop... Woods can be vacant of these... You want deer?? JUST DUMP A TRUCK LOAD OF CORN... They will come.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Sorry, just had too....

Reactions: bowhunter1023

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Here's a real good thread on getting into the OH woodland TSI and wildlife stewardship programs. There are others, just search CAUV in the forum.

Thread 'TSI, Forestry, EQUIP' https://theohiooutdoors.com/threads/tsi-forestry-equip.27531/

Your outcomes verbalized and or written, whether maximum return for timber, maximum wildlife value or something in between are what will allow the professionals to dial in a plan to meet your goals.

Best of luck.
Wow I forgot I put that together! Thanks for sharing. Hope it helps someone!

Best of luck.
That is one thing I need to get my ass in gear on. Thanks for the reminder for the thread!

Reactions: Stressless

reffitt20

Oak and walnut obviously have a market in southeast Ohio my question is anyone every hear of someone coming in and selectively cutting maple, beech, and popular? I understand these are not the highly desirable species loggers want I am just curious if anyone has heard of this?

SNIPERBBB

Se ohio
Oak and walnut obviously have a market in southeast Ohio my question is anyone every hear of someone coming in and selectively cutting maple, beech, and popular? I understand these are not the highly desirable species loggers want I am just curious if anyone has heard of this?
Maple and beech can get pretty quick if left alone too long and outcompete younger trees you want.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Yes we are doing that now. They sell it for pulp wood. Not a huge money maker but we aren’t doing it for the money.

Reactions: Reagan

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Poplar make great trees for loc-on and climbing stands but other than that they have little standing use. They make beautiful walls though.
Beech provide desirable food for deer and turkeys and make great scrape trees.
I prefer a variety of trees but every maple I can get rid of I’m all for it.