Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 23-24

Jamie

Ohio
My grandmother always said "...life is what happens while you are making other plans." It barely seems possible that I joined this forum over 10 years ago. March of 2013 to be exact. Tempus fugit.

When I think about where I was and how I felt one year ago at this time I still wince just a little. Time does heal all wounds. Not always completely, but it really does if you let it. I can honestly say that my fervor for all things hunting is diminished now, probably permanently, in ways I never thought possible just a few years ago. Shooting my bows, listening to my dogs sing on a tree off in the distance, outwitting a deer good enough to be really close to them once in a while with a bow in my hand will always bring me great pleasure, but I just do not need to DO all of that as much as I once did to be happy. I have arrived at that terrible place in life where I cannot physically do all the things I do the way I have always done them, anyway. Inescapable, I suppose, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Dreadful adjustments have to be made when you fully realize that you are, in fact, "getting old".

Deer hunting went like it usually does for me. I did spend quite a lot of time in very close proximity to many deer. More than usual, and a few really big ones. Only one arrow and one .41mag round fired, two nice large does to fill the freezer. The best part was that I actually enjoyed myself deer hunting this year again. It was easy without carrying a heavy emotional burden and extreme physical pain around every day. I'm looking forward to more of the same with my dogs. I will only have to suffer the painful indignities that are inherent in running dogs every day as a less coordinated and energetic person, lol. Collars charged, rifle dialed in as good as ever, game vest clean and ready for filling. The dogs know it is time but have been quite calm about it this year. I guess we are all getting old. Tomorrow, we hunt.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Understand completely! I wasn't even going to get a tag this year but the fever got me and I bought one. Went way less than any other year but still having fun. Good luck with the squirrels and as usual I'm pulling for Lefty lol!

Reactions: Jamie

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jamie, I can relate to your opening post (a little too much) except for the pain that you endured. Mine is minor in comparison. Running beagles for 30+ years was a serious passion of mine, unfortunately that fire went out with the loss of a couple dogs, as well as a lifelong friend who shared it with me.
Now I read about it, it brings back memories. You may be after a different critter, but the experience is about the same. I’m looking forward too your updates of your trials and tribulations, along with the highs and lows…..
Enjoy your season, buddy….

Jamie

Ohio
Not a bad start. Dog are usually super excited on the first time out, and today was no exception, but they settled down and started hunting after some pointless spastic running around and barking. Slick treed three, Lefty two. I walked away from one of Slicks' since neither dog would stay on the tree. Treed 5 squirrels between 9 and 10:30, and I shot four of them. I did not see another squirrel in the three more stops we made, which took about three hours, and the dogs barely barked even though they kept hunting pretty good until the last stop. They were tired and the squirrels were obviously not moving any longer. On the last stop right after I sent the dogs off and got the tailgate shut and started walking I see a guy in an orange hat walking toward me carrying a squirrel with Lefty following. I walked over to him and immediately asked me if I wanted his squirrel. Seemed obvious to me that he was probably not going to bother skinning it, and it was shot in the head and still warm and limber, so I took it. Seemed like a good time to quit. That is the first time I have ever seen another person squirrel hunting at this particular place, and he offered me a headshot squirrel. LOL, I really do not need another squirrel to eat, but would hate for it to go to waste. Weird.

IMG_4242.jpg

Slick 3
Lefty 2

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
Not a great showing today. We started fast with Lefty lucking into one as soon as we started. I'm pretty sure the only reason he got that one was because Slick stopped to take a dump and Lefty kept trotting on. The action was pretty far apart this morning while it lasted. Slick found two more and went to several empty trees. He did do a good job of staying treed on both of them as I had a pretty long walk to both trees. After the third squirrel was in the bag both dogs just quit hunting. I've come to expect that from Lefty, but Slick wouldn't go either. Since we aren't out there just playing around going for a walk I don't let them wander around doing whatever if they are not getting after it, so I put them both on short leads and dragged them a half mile back to the truck after all of my efforts to get them back to hunting failed. By the time I huffed my way back to the truck, skinned the only three squirrels we saw, ate my lunch I was ready to give them another chance. I drove to another spot and turned them loose. Nothing. Lefty trotted out about 50 yards and stood there looking at me, Slick just kept running around me watching Lefty. After a few attempts to get them off and hunting I put them on leads again, walked them back past the truck to send them off in the opposite direction. After some "encouragement" from me Slick did take off, and found something. I was pretty well convinced he was running a rabbit as he was going in a big circle about 200 yards out from me barking the whole way. Lefty went after the barking and when he caught up he started barking, too. They were treed together, so I figured they must have had a squirrel. I marched 183 yards through a very nasty thick bush honeysuckle patch to get to them. Slick did have a squirrel after a pretty long ground chase. I tried and tried, but I could not get in position for a shot in that 8 foot high honeysuckle. Every time I moved the squirrel moved and it was very, very thick. I attempted a couple of shots but hit nothing but twigs. The squirrel eventually came down the tree to the ground and the chase was on again for about 80 yards before squirrel must have found a hole. The dogs stopped barking, so I called them to me instead of fighting the goddamned honeysuckle any more. I could not get either of them moving again, so I loaded them up. My dogs disappointed me today. Lefty is not coming again until I can get Slick straightened back out. He is not hunting at all, really, and he is interfering with Slick so much that Slick isn't doing anything either. I'll never understand what the dynamic is between these two when we are hunting. I'll see what Slick can do by himself a few times. Shooter doing his job, at least. Too mad at dogs to take pics today. Use your imaginations.

Slick 6
Lefty 3

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Here’s hoping they pull their heads outta their backsides for the next trip out. Sometimes running them together creates a less than stellar outing. Leaving one behind hopefully brings out some competitiveness between them….

Reactions: finelyshedded

Jamie

Ohio
Lefty is old, slow and naturally lazy. I know he hurts when we are done hunting even though most of the time he really only just runs to Slick when he gets on one. I think Lefty just needs to not go every time because he does get tired out pretty fast and needs more time to recover and rest up. I'm not surprised by that because Lefty will be 12 in April, and I don't expect of him what I once did because of his age and physical condition (to which I can completely relate, lol), but he fucks Slick up really bad sometimes, and that I cannot have. Slick is a different dog without Lefty around. Slick will run me to death tomorrow. Looking forward to it. :D