Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sticks or Bolts

offthegroud

At my age my days fighting climbing stick for mobel hunting to sneak in are closing. Climbing stand sold due to lost ash trees and in the right location.Has anyone used the grade 8 bolts for predrill sets for future hunts.
Don't need to hear what types of sticks you have! Pros and Cons on bolts,please.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
At my age my days fighting climbing stick for mobel hunting to sneak in are closing. Climbing stand sold due to lost ash trees and in the right location.Has anyone used the grade 8 bolts for predrill sets for future hunts.
Don't need to hear what types of sticks you have! Pros and Cons on bolts,please.
Are you talking about running lag bolts into the tree and climbing up those instead of a stick ladder? I’ve never heard of such a thing.

Jamie

Ohio
I'm not real big on climbing sticks, either, but they have their place in my arsenal for aerial assaults. I have used bolts and drilled holes. They certainly do work, but I very much prefer screw-in steps. The difference in the amount of time it takes to screw in a step vs. drilling a hole and inserting a bolt is negligible, especially if you have one of these. The Ultimate Tree Step Tool

I bought one about 5 years ago and have used the piss out of it since. Saves time, wear and tear on my arms, shoulders, and hands, and aids in removing steps just the same. A bargain at twice the price.

I have used some of the same trees for as much as 5 years in a row. I can leave screw in steps in a tree for about three seasons before they have to be moved because the tree is growing around them. If you leave bolts in a tree for more than a season you will likely not get them out.

If I'm hunting a place only once or setting up for temporary observation only and cannot use a climbing stand, I will use LW sticks and Alpha.

Reactions: Big_Holla and Mike

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I used to buy large galvanized spikes by the case. I’d put on a lineman’s belt and use a small sledge to drive the spikes into the tree. We don’t have regular timber harvests like ohio and Pennsylvania does so I don’t have to worry about ruining the tree for the loggers. I’d scout every February and March and spike trees in the areas I liked. Then I’d hang a stand in the late summer/early fall and hunt it. The ones that were good for deer movement, I kept, the rest I abandoned. I’d say I’ve spiked over 200 trees during my hunting career but now use mostly blinds and ladder stands. Just make sure to go a couple steps higher than your stand so that you can use them to pull yourself up when stepping onto your stands platform. I stick to pines and cedars as the oaks are real hard…and they have leaves which make noise on windy days….cedars and pines are more quiet.