Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Story from the field

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Didn’t see any others post yet so I guess I’ll go first.
This months story (October entry) will be about my preparations for this deer season.
Earlier this year (January) I ordered a Sportsmens condo and had it shipped to our local dealer. I picked it up and brought it home. I added a plywood floor inside, installed the camo covering on the windows that allow you to see out but the deer can’t see into the blind. Picked up a buddy heater, office chair, 4x4’s, 2x4’s, cable and anchor and 4 metal fence posts to help anchor it down.

Fast forward to April and I made the trip out to Ohio with a friend to put the blind where I needed it to be. I had prescouted the area and I think it’s in the perfect place based on observations over the past several deer seasons. Luckily, my neighboring property owner in Ohio was available with a quad and trailer to help get the blind into the woods. I couldn’t bring my quad as the blind took up all of the space in the bed of my truck. We cut a trail wide enough for the quad and trailer and hauled it back to where I wanted it. It’s on the side of a slope overlooking a spot where 3 ravines come together. After several hours of maneuvering and leveling, we got it up. Then we put in the cross braces, anchored the blind, cut shooting lanes with the chain saw, put in the carpeting, office chair and buddy heater, placed a trail camera, put out a mineral lick, then Finally painted the cross braces.

I went back out there in September to help my friend (the same one who helped me with the blind) fix up a camp that he bought after seeing how beautiful the area was. His place is about 20 minutes from my property so I’ll be able to stay at his camp this year instead of the hotel I stay at that is 45 minutes away. When I come out there to hunt, I sit all day as my only other option is to sit in a hotel...and you can’t kill a deer from there....and trust me, after 2 weeks being by yourself all day long and only talking to the cashier at the coffee shop in the mornings, gets kinda old! This year I’ll be able to go to my buddies camp after every hunt and have a couple of hunting companions to swap the days hunting stories with. That in itself will make the season much more enjoyable. If I get one early, I’ll be more than happy to be the “kitchen bitch” for the rest of the trip. Here’s a couple of pics of the work on the blind.
DA04278A-0227-4BE2-B030-0FE2E20FE0B4.jpeg
AA09A1ED-3B9F-4A8D-B75A-0EC4C35A501A.jpeg
E6E678B3-31F4-4845-885B-E7C6FF937FF9.jpeg
7D9E4909-884D-48BE-BC05-63C186962F68.jpeg
A924D4DE-28D2-4476-933F-EC0169DFFF74.jpeg

Fletch

Supporting Member
Looks good...All it needs is a Penquins Logo... Mabe some black and gold curtains... Good Luck hunting out of it this year... Always nice to have company when on a hunting trip to share stories and a beer with....

Reactions: Sgt Fury