Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stressless Smoked Fish Dip: Step by Step

Stressless

Keene, OH
First catch some Tuna/Salmon or King Mackerel and ICE them well as soon as possible. The coolder the quicker the better. I perfer to catch them out of my Kayak which is quick, cheap and fun.

1-20200926_074457.jpg

Clean into chunks discard 'little pieces" and all red meat if from Mackerel. Chill and do not freeze.

Here is the total list of ingredients:

1 Gallon King chunks.
1 1/2 Cups (Packed) Lite Brown Sugar
4 Tblspns Morton Salt
1 1/2 cups water (bottle or filtered - not tap with chlorine in it)
3 hours NON-Nut wood for smoke. Wild Cherry, Alder, Apple, Maple, etc... not a nut wood much too acidic.

2.JPG

Put salt and brown sugar into a bowl with water mix until dissolved. Pour into ziploc gallon of king chunks - work the bag to remove all air and get chunks coated with brine. Let brine 1 hour. While brining get the smoker and wood chunks ready. Lightly coat the smoker racks with olive oil and get the brined King.

3.JPG

Place the chunks around the smoker to evenly cook and cover the chunks. You each know your smoker - this is how mine works best.

4.JPG

Notice - don't plug in/start the smoker yet. Once your meat in out you must let it air dry for about an hour. Here's the chunk right out of the brine:

5.JPG

During that hour get your heat source ready, just make sure that it's ready an hour after you start the air drying process. The air drying process sets the glaze which is called pellicle and is the key in any quality smoked meat. The glaze is set by the outer cells absorbing salt and sugars until they burst and create a 'slime' (hey it's a tasty slime!) Here is the same piece after the pellicle has set.

6.JPG

Now your ready to start the smoking process - for the first couple hours you want to keep it around 160-180F and have lots of smoke finish the drying process of the pellicle and set the smoke into the outer layer.

This is how I start the heat and the amount of wood for smoke. The wood I use is Wild Cherry from the farm in OH.

7.JPG

There is no basting or flipping the meat. Constant low temp and smoke are your curing tools. Our piece after an hour of smoke and 170F.

11.JPG

9.JPG

8.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike and Sgt Fury

Stressless

Keene, OH
Some more smoke...

10.jpg

Getting barely there after 2 hours...

12.JPG

...more smoke...

13.JPG

MMmmm, now the fat is being rendered out of the meat - part of the cure.

14.JPG

Keep adding fresh wood for the smoke and heat. After 3 hours kick it to 200 to dry the outer layer or keep it at 170F for another couple hours.

16.JPG

Whether you finish quick of let it linger you'll want your meat to set a firm skim of smoke and flavor though the chunk. It should reduced in fat/oil and show a firm "edge" between muscle that wasn't clear at the start. Our piece at four hours 30 min and done.

17.JPG

Let cool on the rack and bag for the fridge. This makes great dip or sliced for crackers - really good with a full bodied red wine, dark wheat beer or single malt.

18.JPG

When sliced it should show the edge where the glaze stopped and will have the great flavor though the fish. This also works REALLY well with Red Salmon and other fatty/oily fish.

🐟
Stressless

Attachments

• 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Stressless

Keene, OH
The thing is this is fabulous with salmon - where I first got the brine recipe from my Force Recon buddy while he lived in Alaska.

...but it's even better Tuna/King/Salmon using this dip recipe. For @Jackalope / @bowhunter1023 this post got 167K hits on fishing forum here.

Stressless Smoked Fish Dip

Ingredients:

About 3 pounds Yellowfin Fillets/King or Salmon - leave the skin on the salmon.

3 Bricks Philadelphia Cream Cheese

2 Bunches Green Onions

1-Cup Hellmans Mayonnaise

2 Large jars of diced Pimentos (6 oz. I think)

½ cup sweet relish

1 cup diced jalapenos (optional)

½ cup dill relish

Garlic Salt

Cayenne Pepper

Lemon Pepper

Olive Oil

Directions:
Take the tuna/king/ salmon up and put it in a big mixing bowl. While you waiting for it to cool, in a separate bowl, pour the relishes and pimentos together. I usually season this with all the seasoning and mix it. Don?t drain anything, just pour it in. Season this mixture to taste with the garlic salt, a little regular salt, cayenne pepper, and a little regular lemon pepper. Dice the green part of the onions up and add them to this. Mix it together and let stand. Add a few drops of the liquid smoke to the mixture if you want to give it a little smokey flavor. Go back to the tuna. I always just tear it up as fine as I can with my hands. Seems to take out any lumps. Do this as soon as it cools enough to handle. In the same bowl, add the cream cheese to it. Use a big spoon and mix it till the cheese is blended evenly. Now, pour in all the other stuff and mix well. Add the mayonnaise at this time. I usually use about a cup. Mix it all together. Put it in a serving bowl, cover and refrigerate. You may have to add a little more mayonnaise if it?s feels kinda dry. That will be the cheese firming up again.

That?s it. Hope ya?ll enjoy it.

Last edited:
The thing is this is fabulous with salmon - where I first got the brine recipe from my Force Recon buddy while he lived in Alaska.

...but it's even better Tuna/King/Salmon using this dip recipe. For @Jackalope / @bowhunter1023 this post got 167K hits on fishing forum here.

Stressless Smoked Fish Dip

Ingredients:

About 3 pounds Yellowfin Fillets/King or Salmon - leave the skin on the salmon.

3 Bricks Philadelphia Cream Cheese

2 Bunches Green Onions

1-Cup Hellmans Mayonnaise

2 Large jars of diced Pimentos (6 oz. I think)

½ cup sweet relish

1 cup diced jalapenos (optional)

½ cup dill relish

Garlic Salt

Cayenne Pepper

Lemon Pepper

Olive Oil

Directions:
Take the tuna/king/ salmon up and put it in a big mixing bowl. While you waiting for it to cool, in a separate bowl, pour the relishes and pimentos together. I usually season this with all the seasoning and mix it. Don?t drain anything, just pour it in. Season this mixture to taste with the garlic salt, a little regular salt, cayenne pepper, and a little regular lemon pepper. Dice the green part of the onions up and add them to this. Mix it together and let stand. Add a few drops of the liquid smoke to the mixture if you want to give it a little smokey flavor. Go back to the tuna. I always just tear it up as fine as I can with my hands. Seems to take out any lumps. Do this as soon as it cools enough to handle. In the same bowl, add the cream cheese to it. Use a big spoon and mix it till the cheese is blended evenly. Now, pour in all the other stuff and mix well. Add the mayonnaise at this time. I usually use about a cup. Mix it all together. Put it in a serving bowl, cover and refrigerate. You may have to add a little more mayonnaise if it?s feels kinda dry. That will be the cheese firming up again.

That?s it. Hope ya?ll enjoy it.

Good work, I make it weekly all summer and have used about every fish out there but I have to say, kingfish is dang hard to beat! I love tuna don't get me wrong but i believe king is one of the best smoke holding fish out there. We use catfish down here primarily due to accessibility but it still makes a mean dip! Looks like a solid recipe to me!!

Reactions: Stressless