Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Style of hunting clothing/outerwear

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
What is your favorite style of hunting outerwear?
Coat + pants
bib overalls + coat,
coveralls.

I started out wearing coat and pants, but found there was a cold spot where the coat ended and the pants began. Plus that combo wasn't very forgiving when it came to added weight from one too many 12 oz curls during football season. So I moved on to coveralls and really like them. They keep me warm and are roomy enough to accommodate gut expansion. I haven't used overalls and coat yet.

In your opinion what are the pros and cons of these styles? Do you change the style you wear as the season goes on? Which one is best for colder weather?

Personally, I just have three different weights of coveralls and choose the weight that is needed for the temps I will be hunting.

Jamie

Ohio
coverall suck for hunting with a bow and arrow. not enough freedom of movement (for me, anyway) to shoot a bow properly, but if you're only pulling a trigger, coveralls will work. that said, I wear pants and jackets (fit of jacket is very important for traditional bowhunters) as much as possible, different layering underneath, adding a wool or insulated vest, or both, extends the use of my lighter uninsulated gear into colder weather. when it's getting down in the 20's and not getting to 50 during the day I wear insulated bibs and jacket/vest or a coat. I have enough gear to hunt comfortably from 75* to 0 or below. mix and match outerwear, underwear, hats, boots, etc. to be dressed warm enough to sit several hours with least amount of bulk. dressing for bow and arrow hunting is a science. the design and quality of modern hunting clothes has made being comfortable while hunting a lot easier.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Carhartt bibs, uninsulated and insulated, depending. But I bought some Wal-Mart camo pants and will be giving them a try come opening day.
I'm not afraid to spend money, but can be kind of a tightass at times, and buying clothes is one of them. So I won't spend big bucks to get in camo. Bibs work good for me and I depend on the chest pockets now, as well as keeping my pruning snips in the right leg pocket.
And when it gets cold, there's nothing better than having your lower back protected,

Reactions: Tipmoose

Bowkills

Nw oh
I shop at goodwill for tree colored looking pants and camo sweat shirt. Got a berber pull over hooded coat up till January. Bibs and mickeys come out for muzzy.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
When the temps are 50 and above, I wear a combination of lightweight pants and a hoody or jacket. I will layer underneath accordingly, sometimes wearing an insulating vest for a littoe extra warmth. When the temps drop and especially when there's a steady breeze, I ditch the pants and go with bibs and a coat. For me, something with a windproof layer is critical. The bibs just do a way better job retaining the warmth than pants. And they are much more versatile. I can walk in with light pants and throw the bibs on when I'm in the tree... Saves me a ton of sweat equity.

Jamie

Ohio
bibs with full length leg zippers work really well for me for venting while walking to and from a stand. I almost always carry my jacket and vest while walking to and from no matter what the weather is, but I rarely carry my bibs to a stand. take them off after a morning hunt sometimes as it can get pretty warm fast on sunny days in November. imo, windproof gear is a must and insulated bibs are a cold weather hunters best friend. bibs offer all the benefits of coveralls with none of the shortcomings. for really cold weather, insulated windproof bibs and coat with quality moisture wicking layers underneath.

Cogz

Cogz
TX
A fleece vest or long sleeve fleece has eliminated multiple layers for me. I find that it keeps my body temp fairly steady regardless of the temp outside. Exceptions with the extremes on both ends of the thermometer, but regardless of everything else I have a layer of fleece over a long sleeve base layer and tshirt.

Reactions: jagermeister

Chass

The Hills
I'll go out in absolutely anything that's comfortable. I've killed more than one deer in PJ pants and house slippers.

Reactions: OO2

Chass

The Hills
Right now I have gym shorts on, no shirt and my house slippers. Sitting out sweating my ass of busting some doves over a corn pile. Before you ask, no I have no clue how to dove hunt. I see the dove, I shoot the dove. Down goes another dove.

Reactions: Lucky

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Right now I have gym shorts on, no shirt and my house slippers. Sitting out sweating my ass of busting some doves over a corn pile. Before you ask, no I have no clue how to dove hunt. I see the dove, I shoot the dove. Down goes another dove.

That's pretty much how you hunt dove....not sure about the corn pile part....but everything else is about right.

Cogz

Cogz
TX
From one member to another, I’d rethink or at least not advertise this strategy. Federal regs prohibit harvesting migratory birds over bait. I’m certain you didn’t know that is prohibited and I don’t pass any judgement whatsoever, just would hate to hear you get a fine or lose privileges if someone knows your identity and reported it like a tool.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/Portals/wildlife/pdfs/publications/hunting/pub064.pdf

Chass

The Hills
From one member to another, I’d rethink or at least not advertise this strategy. Federal regs prohibit harvesting migratory birds over bait. I’m certain you didn’t know that is prohibited and I don’t pass any judgement whatsoever, just would hate to hear you get a fine or lose privileges if someone knows your identity and reported it like a tool.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/Portals/wildlife/pdfs/publications/hunting/pub064.pdf
Good to know, was only aware that you couldnt put bait out for turkeys and shoot them. Sort of an odd rule but it is what it is. Might be what we see for deer in the future too. Looks like I might be safe since it's been 10 days since I've refreshed it and the deer usually have it gone within 2 days, assuming that my 2 random cornstalks that grew this year wouldn't pass for 1 scattered bag. They were definitely there to clean up the remains though. Thanks again for the info!

Back on topic though, I need to get a new pair of bibs. Too fat for my current pair and I hate getting that breeze at the midsection.

Lucky

Sunbury
I like my scent blocker coveralls. There not to hot in early sason and in colder parts of the season just layer up good underneath and stay plenty warm. Plus there nice to unzipp the top when walking back in this heat to try to stay somewhat cooler. Not easy though with a climber on your back. With a pack strapped to it youd sweat going back in just boxers. But definatly love the coveral. Probly start hunting this weekend or beginning of week. Looks a little cooler.