Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Summit Open Shot

I'd like to hear from anyone that has owned one of these tree stands. Likes and dislikes. 🤔
I'm considering purchasing one, which would make using my recurve easier, by not having that safety rail in the way.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Ive had one for years enjoy sitting and climbs easy i think. I get highly anoid with metal on metal sounds when it happens here and there packing in and out. Ill buy a lone wolf someday maybe. With the summit your bow can sit nice on the top section while climbing if your rope isnt available. I think i went a few seasons ropeless.

Two things to help there are (low expansion) great stuff insulation foam in the tubes were the cables don’t go and Stealth Strips. Also a big fan of the stirrups on the newer ones and the Third Hand Man stabilizer straps and Hazmore mesh seats.

That being said, I run a lwcg stand and sticks now after hunting all over and having run into some non climber friendly woods in the Midwest. But when a climber can be used- they’re the nicest option.

That being said, I run a lwcg stand and sticks now after hunting all over and having run into some non climber friendly woods in the Midwest. But when a climber can be used- they’re the nicest option.
I started running a Cruzr XC tree saddle with a Trophyline Mission platform and Muddy Pro climbing sticks. This eliminated the need for finding "pole" type trees for my Summit Viper. Often it has put me closer to the game trails that I wanted to hunt. :cool:

However, since the leaf cover has dropped off, I find myself looking for double or triple trees to climb and still be somewhat hidden with my Viper. Those types of tree clusters can be difficult, if not impossible to find. 🙄 Today, I purchased a serious pruning saw to lop off those 2" to 4" limbs and still be able to use my Viper. 👍

I still plan to purchase the Open Shot stand, but more than likely it'll be next spring or summer. I would like to hunt the entire bow season with my Hoyt Satori recurve, next year. đź’Ż

Reactions: gjs4

Bowkills

Nw oh
If u want to take mine for a test climb before purchasing im only a county over. They may have updated a touch but youd get the idea if youd want one.

Reactions: Bowhunter57

Bowkills

Nw oh
Scratch the update quote. I dont think they have changed the design in ten years. Still looks identical to what i have.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I had one for a brief moment before going the stick and stand route. I'll never own another climber. I see no advantages to them over the stick/stand combo and consider them to be too much work in comparison. I'm not trying to do dips and leg raises, just hang a stand.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I had one for a brief moment before going the stick and stand route. I'll never own another climber. I see no advantages to them over the stick/stand combo and consider them to be too much work in comparison. I'm not trying to do dips and leg raises, just hang a stand.
I'm with you, the workout getting up and down is a pita but my climber is the most comfortable stand i have by far. Naps in everything else occasionally happen, in the climber its a guarantee.

I'm with you, the workout getting up and down is a pita but my climber is the most comfortable stand i have by far. Naps in everything else occasionally happen, in the climber its a guarantee.

That was what I liked the most about my climber. I could sit all day in that and still be able to take a nap. Rarely use it anymore because of the pre-set stands we have now. Definitely miss the comfort.

Reactions: Hedgelj