Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TC Contender Questions.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My FIL gave me a pretty kick ass birthday gift in the way of a TC contender and some barrels. He horse traded for it from a guy that used to shoot in a local hobby league.

20200307_203923.jpg

The barrels are a
22LR
.223 Rem
35 Rem
45/410 with a screw in choke
22 K Hornet.

Now the question is can I also get a stock and a longer barrel for it to make a rifle. Legally and physically mean. The serial is past the 190k mark so it'll take G2 barrels.

Also. Can 22 Hornet be fired in a 22 K Hornet?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Yes, you can get a stock and 16“+ barrels to make it a rifle. There are people who argue that by the letter of the law once it make it a rifle you can’t go back to a pistol. The vast majority disagree and I know of no instance where anyone was prosecuted for doing that.

Yes you can shoot hornets in K hornets, it fire forms the brass. Accuracy my not be great, but you’ll have brass to reload.

One thing odd about older contenders is the trigger is kind of an automatically set trigger. If you cock the gun and decide not to shoot and let the hammer down you need to open and close the action to reset the sear. Other wise you can’t recock the gun. Yes it’s a PIA but they usually have great triggers.

that’s a really nice selection of barrels. You just need a straight wall for deer.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thanks Sam. I'm pretty sure the grip and forend is aftermarket. And the trigger is pretty damn impressive. Not sure if it's factory but I doubt it since the man shot local competitions. Single-stage and might have a grain of sand of creep then breaks clean well under a pound.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The black rubber grips are Pachmayrs, It's what I use. The wood forend looks like T/C, is it for the octagon bbl?

Yeah you got it, I just saw that on the bottom of the grip. The short TC forend looks like it will fit everything except the longer barrels which are the 22LR and 35 Rem. The octagon barrel is the 22 K Hornet.

The 35 Rem also has some sort of micro adjust target sights. On a side note. Dear God of a pistol round. 😅
20200308_221748.jpg

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
That’s the “Super 14” rear sight, it’s OEM. The Contender handles recoil well. I’ve not shot a .35 rem but have shot .45-70, it wasn’t bad.

Reactions: Jackalope