Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 8

Buckmaster

Portage
Nice one Steve.

I made it back from Deer Camp. I passed on a 120" 8 point at 15 yards. Saw a couple other does and a 3 point.
Back to it next weekend.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I hunted my best morning rut spot Saturday and Sunday mornings and never saw a deer. I had great winds and usually see no less than 10 deer moving through. My evening sits were at a property that normally has big bucks hitting the field checkin Does. I had no shortage of Does feeding under me but never a shooter. And Sunday night I never even seen one of the many small bucks that are always out there. Very spotty over the weekend for me. I believe I wont be out again til Sunday as Saturday I wil be at the Big House, Go Blue!

steveOh

Dayton Area
Not much on here lately...! I'm done hunting for the week....still hoping to fill a doe tag before seasons end...that is only if I see one!!!

Buckmaster

Portage
I made it back from Deer Camp as having spent a week there.
I saw about 20 deer during the week, could have shot about half of them.
Just never pulled the trigger. 120" 9 point at 17 yards was the best I saw.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
An update of our gun season. We have a core group of 6 guys and usually 1 or 2 more people joined us on various days. We do a lot of deer drives. I will have to get pics uploaded somehow since I dont have a smart phone. Monday morning I sat in my stand that I bait. First time I ever really intended to take a Doe there. Alas, the closest shot would have been about 100 yards as 5 walked through the field. I passed. By 10 I met up at my house with my buddies and the pushing began. We hit our best section first and pushed out 12 deer and our friend Greg killed an oddball 8 point that was pretty neat looking. We made 4 more pushes on some smaller sections that others usually push as well. Alot of passed smaller bucks and Does. Finally our buddy Jack took a Mule headed Doe with worn teeth on our last push of the day. Tuesday was better. We pushed our best spot again right after lunch and my buddy nathan ended up getting a big bladed 10 point that will score in the 150's. On our last push Tuesday a Buddy took a smaller Doe that had a busted leg when she came out. He wasnt looking for a Doe but couldnt let her go. Wednesday we headed to our Southern properties in Hardin County and Southern Hancock county. We had a buddy take a large Doe for the freezer. Then I took my 8 point buck. Never taped him, but guessing just shy of 120". Thursday found us back north in our regular area. We pushed our best spot 1st thing and my Nephew took his best buck ever, maybe a 100" 2 year old 7 point. I loved his reaction. Just the gratitude he had to be able to hunt with us was crazy. Friday came and went with no kills. We had 3 of my target bucks give us the runaround. I gotta admit, they pissed me off by showing themselves. They had been in the sanctuary across the street all week and were drawn over by a hot Doe. I admit I was happy after 4 pushes they managed to get back to safety. I wanna see them next year. Saturday was foggy as shit. We waited around til it lifted at 11 a.m. Again, we hit our best spot. I had my niece with me also. she has killed a few Does with her bow, but never killed a buck. I set her up perfectly. Her BF was sitting with her and I ran a 160" ten point and a 130" nine point about 15 yards from them in an open field on a slow trot.........and they missed. Luckily, my buddy Raymond was set up and hammered the 10 point at 40 yards with his 45-70. What a stud of a deer too. All was not lost though. On our very next push we had a wounded buck move right in front of my niece and she hammered him every shot. He was a 1.5 year old small 9 point. He had been shot in the ass sometime earlier in the week. She didnt care. She was so pumped and grateful to get a chance at redemption and took complete advantage of it. That was the highlight of the week for me. She wore my Dad's deer calls and beenie all deer season for good luck, and it surely paid off for her. That was it for Saturday. Sunday was basically just me and my niece's BF and another buddy. Everyone else had to go back to work saturday night and sunday morning so we were short handed. I did get her BF some shots at small bucks, but he choked. I told hime to get some time in shooting and be ready for the 28th and 29th. Unless I forgot any here, I believe our count was 3 Does and 7 bucks for the wee. Pretty damn good. And no wounded/lost deer, which is more important to us than any kills

steveOh

Dayton Area
DSC01227.jpgFinally entered my buck today...headed down to Meigs Co to hunt Mon-Tues. Never been to this place before, it's a friend of my hunting partners, 40 acres...still looking to fill my doe tag.

Last edited: