Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

That was fun

Creamer

Athens
I hadn't hunted squirrels in years. I don't know how many years, but too many. Before bow season started, I sighted in my 17HMR with hopes to get out this fall/winter for tree rats. Yea, I sighted my gun in from my son's swing set platform.

So December arrived and I still hadn't gotten out. I needed a mental health day from work, so I took yesterday off and headed for the woods after my wife went to work and the little man went to day care. I hit a close stretch of public ground on a dual squirrel hunt/deer scouting trip. I covered a lot of ground and found some good prospective stand locations for bow season next year (if not late this season). I barely hiked away from the road and saw SIX rats in one tree...about 10 yards onto private ground. I kept walking, got deeper into the public land, and found squirrels quickly. I was within 40 yards of a tree that held three, and they were in stealth mode because I was made. One got down and ran off at mach 10 before I could get on it. I knew the other two were still in the tree, so I pulled my little squirrel call and gave a couple of barks. One popped his head up in the fork of the tree, and that was all I needed.

The third squirrel also got down and took off up the hill at mach 10. I worked my way up the hill and caught back up with him. I had a hell of a time getting a clean shot off at him, but finally got a clean look and made him pay.

I had some squirrels barking on the ridge behind me so I got up there as quickly as I could. I was having a hard time spotting the loudmouth so I pulled the call and barked again. A squirrel started chattering behind me, I turned and spotted it way out there. It was a solid 60-65 yard shot, but I got steady on the tree and gave a squeeze.

Fun morning, I was impressed that the call came in handy. I wasn't sure if it was worth making or not. Since I am a fly tyer, I saved a lot of materials in the form of three tails and a large baggie of squirrel fur dubbing. I absolutely used a beard trimmer and shaved dead squirrels. Side note, if anyone needs a beard trimmer, I'll make you a deal.

I put the squirrel fur dubbing to use last night on the collar of this trout bug.

Might have to get out again next week and add to the freezer stock and fly tying material bin.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Some years back, I re-discovered my childhood love of small game hunting. Good for the soul.

Nice story and picts. Thanks for the post.
Nice 17 too.

Reactions: Creamer

Creamer

Athens
Well done! I don't know squat about flyfishing but that fly looks like it'll catch some fish.

It's a slight twist on a pattern called a Duracell that has caught a lot of trout for me since I started tying it. It's a solid producer.

That’s how you spend a mental health day! That’s good for the soul. Nice job.

What better way to clear your head than emptying out some squirrel heads, right? lol

Reactions: giles

Creamer

Athens
I went back to the same chunk of public over our holiday break. Squirrels were like ghosts, I'd catch glimpses and they'd vanish. I finally ditched the ridge system I was on and checked out another section of the public ground. I quickly found a tree with four in it, doing the old squirrel rut chase around the tree, paying no attention to me. I snuck within 30 yards and managed to drop 3 of them in 3 shots in a matter of seconds. The 4th figured out his 3 buddies were dead and hit the ground at mach 10, never to be seen again.

If you look close, you can see how closely they all fell.

Creamer

Athens
Nice shooting, what’s the weapon of choice? I like the stock.

It's a Marlin I have had pretty much since the 17HMR round came out. I think the model is 17VS. It's nothing glamorous, but it's probably my favorite gun to shoot that I own.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It's a Marlin I have had pretty much since the 17HMR round came out. I think the model is 17VS. It's nothing glamorous, but it's probably my favorite gun to shoot that I own.

I have the 782 in .22 Mag, have had that fun since the early 80’s and have a lot of history with this gun and wouldn’t trade it for the world and will go too the kids after I’m gone... Starting my own little history.....

That stock makes that gun in my opinion. I’d love too do a swap out for mine like that but I’m too cheap 😂

Reactions: Creamer