Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The heart of a deer

Jamie

Ohio
Not unlike the shanks, too many deer hearts go to waste. It's a damn shame because it is surely the most delicious organ meat on the planet. I stopped wasting them years ago and have tried cooking them many different ways. Everything from marinating, grilling, sous vide/searing to pan frying in various ways. I had an epiphany sitting in a treestand a couple of days after killing this doe last Tuesday that was inspired by a sauteed Chicken of the Woods recipe I got from The Forager Chef Alan Bergo. I was going to post pics of this in the "What's for Dinner" thread, but this was so phenomenally good that I figure it deserves it's own thread. If you have never bothered to bring home a nice fresh deer heart, do yourself a favor and take the time to eat one. You will never let the Coyotes have another,

I seared the thinly sliced heart in beef tallow for about 1 minute on high heat, removed from skillet, turned down heat to medium, added about 3/4 cup each of sliced Poblano peppers (the last from the garden) and yellow onion (frenched), cooked until the onion was turning translucent and browning on the edges, threw in about 1 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh garlic (one large clove) and three sprigs of fresh rosemary. Let this cook while stirring a bit for about one minute, then poured in 1/4 cup of bourbon to deglaze for a few seconds then added 2T butter. Once the butter melted and I had everything combined, I added the seared heart back to the pan, tossed to combine, heated for a couple of minutes and turned it off. Served on a bed of Rosemary rice with fresh baguette Nancy baked today for this dinner. I'm not one to blow my own horn, but this is one of the best venison dinners I have ever put on the table. This is next level cooking for me. I'll be lucky if I can ever make it this good again, but I really have to kill another deer or two soon so I can try.

Pan seared deer heart with peppers, onions, rosemary, and whisky butter.

IMG_4220.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

Last edited:

JARHEAD

Behind you
I love deer heart! I have a few coworkers that always bring me theirs. I haven't tried this recipe but after hearing your review... I damn sure will be trying it this year!

Reactions: Jamie

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Looks good minus the rosemary! I've done heart a few ways, but love cutting it into strips, breading it and pan frying it. I've use it in stir fry, too.
That's my favorite way and the kids are actually disappointed when i don't bring the heart home after success in the field.

Last year my son actually "debated " with me over aiming for the heart for this reason.

Reactions: Big_Holla and "J"