Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Perfect Funnel

After shooting my buck last week I decided to hunt with my camera. This photo was taken yesterday while sitting in my creek bottom stand. I plan to watch from this stand as to not cause much disturbance while my buddy hunts deeper into the property. This stand I feel is the best funnel I've ever hunted. In this stand I am facing to the west. To my north and south the creek bottom widens to two properties that have been logged out in the last eight years. Both properties now offer great cover for bedding. The two red numbers are yardage distances from my shooting window. It is hard to tell by the photos but where the growth starts after twenty yards the land rises steeply with some huge rock outcroppings. Behind this stand the land rises steeply also and I've never saw a deer go behind this stand. Along the creek just yards north of this stand there is actually a cliff that is 50 foot high that runs about 70 yards long. Any deer that cruises this creek bottom has to pass directly in front of this stand. Most deer travel south to north in this funnel so it can be hunted with W or S winds. Any deer that come from the south appears about 40 yards south of the stand which allows plenty of time to get ready to shoot. The shot offered from this stand is at max 22 yards, but most are 15 yards or less.
P1030005v3.jpg

Sat in this stand yesterday evening, nothing showed up though. We have had enough rain to get things flowing that are normally dry. The photo I took of this drainage is just behind and to the left of the stand I've been sitting in. This gives a pretty good look at the type of terrain on the surrounding hills that makes this funnel work so well.
P1030009v2.jpg