Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The race is on 2016/2017 rabbit season

dirtysouth36

2/4/17

Another day of rabbit hunting in the books. Ran 4 dogs today and the puppy went along as well. We hunted an old pine tree farm we call "the pines". We've been hunting the pines once a year for the past 4 years or so. It is the thickest nastiest spot we hunt, the land owner use to brush hog paths between the rows buth has let them grow up in the past couple years so its hard to get shots at times.

We started around 9am and it was a brisk 16 degrees with a covering of frost on the ground. The frost was making the tracking tough in the morning til the sun started melting it away. This place has always produced multiple chases in the past and has always been loaded with rabbits. But we were having a hell of a time finding a rabbit to run.* About an hour in we finally got a rabbit up and moving and the dogs did well on the track and brought it back to the gun. Except the guy shooting (me) missed. But he didnt make it far as steve was close by for a back up shot and ended the run. About 10 minutes later we had another one up moving. After the first circle the rabbit made it back to steve and his son and im pretty sure they shot about 8 times and missed. The race continued down into the back of the pines and ended has the rabbit holed in a hollow tree. Turbo would not leave that hollow tree. So we went in to investigate, this hollow log was laying smack dab in the middle of a green briar patch.* We check both ends of this hollow log that was rough 10 ft long and could see the rabbit but he never came out. The log was too small for the big dogs so steve decided to send the puppy into the log. She is 9 weeks old now and knows what a rabbit is and loves chewing on them. About halfway down the log there was hole where the puppy (moon) was stopped and we could see in the log and low and behold the rabbit was dead in that log. That was definitly the highlight of the day. We had one more really good race after that and i ended up bagging that rabbit and we decided to call it a day. Was a short day of running and the morning started out rough but the dog ended uo doing quite well. Moon has been going out with us tagging along every weekend, usually hang around our feet. But not this week, this week she wanted to be with the big dogs. Shes learning and soaking it all in and doing what puppies do. We have big hopes for this pup and there will be lots of spring and summer solo running with her getting her tuned up for next season for our little mix and match beagle pack. Watching a young dog turn into a hunting dog is the highlight of this sport for sure.*

Renovator

Sounds like a great day. I was supposed to hunt yesterday with my buddy and his two kids. I woke up at. 3.am with a pounding headache I hardly ever get one.
Took some Advil, would not go away
Never really fell back asleep took and Aleve before I left. Loaded the girls drove to pick up my budy and his kids. I could not shake it was getting worse. I drove back home the girls thought it was time to hit the brush when I opened the door we were back home. Have to wait until Friday or Saturday supposed to head down by Carroll County. I'm bummed out !!

Rastus

Haven't checked on you guys for awhile. Sounds like everybody is still after them. I've been getting out about once a week and it's been mostly good. I skipped the really warm weekend because of the deer ticks though. Hunted 4 young dogs near Cadiz yesterday. We jumped 12. Most of them ran - had 3 hole up. We shot 4, three of them by a young fella that was out hunting for the first time ever. He actually never missed. Hope we didn't give him unrealistic expectations for the rest of his career. That average can only get worse from here.

dirtysouth36

Ive really been slacking on the updates the last few weeks. Crazy busy at work right now hate overtime lol. Been hunting sunday since its my only day off. Last week we killed 4 jumped 5. And this week we just couldnt get on em at egypt valley. Ended up with 2 half assed chases and 1 good chase that produced 1 dead rabbit. Im not working next saturday. Hoping to meet up with renovator, j, bigslam and anyone else that wants to come along. Should be good fun. Meeting at the marathon gas station at the bolivar exit off 77 south. As far as time i was thinkin 8 or 9 whatever is good for everyone else!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ive really been slacking on the updates the last few weeks. Crazy busy at work right now hate overtime lol. Been hunting sunday since its my only day off. Last week we killed 4 jumped 5. And this week we just couldnt get on em at egypt valley. Ended up with 2 half assed chases and 1 good chase that produced 1 dead rabbit. Im not working next saturday. Hoping to meet up with renovator, j, bigslam and anyone else that wants to come along. Should be good fun. Meeting at the marathon gas station at the bolivar exit off 77 south. As far as time i was thinkin 8 or 9 whatever is good for everyone else!

I'm going to do my darnedest too make it and meet you guys finally... I'm probably going to bring my buddy Dick with me and he's got some beagles as well....

I know that marathon lol Met a buddy there last week when we hunted his place....

dirtysouth36

Collars on charge dogs fed and sleeping. Im ready for my last hunt of the year!! Ill have my 11 year old daughter (my wifes mini me) with me to keep me and the hounds in check! See u guys in the a.m

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Collars on charge dogs fed and sleeping. Im ready for my last hunt of the year!! Ill have my 11 year old daughter (my wifes mini me) with me to keep me and the hounds in check! See u guys in the a.m

Same here, minus the 11 year old lol

I'll be bringing Sam (OhioSam) with me and the girls... We'll be carrying the .410's....

Looking forward too it....