Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tuning my Recurve made easy!

I've done my share of tuning with my compound, like paper tune and all the other alignment processes. It's a good process and it works. :)

I was watching some videos about the same or similar process for traditional bows. Bare shaft tuning at various yardages, etc. However, I didn't really want to strip the feathers off of one of my arrows to test/try this method, then have to fletch it again. :rolleyes: Kinda lazy, I know, but I looked up the Dynamic Spine Calculator that 3 Rivers Archery has online and put in all the data for my set up.
https://www.3riversarchery.com/dynamic-spine-arrow-calculator-from-3rivers-archery.html

After entering all this data, all I had to do is cut my arrows to the recommended length, for the arrow spine that I'm using (Gold Tip Traditional XT 500) and add the tip weight until the numbers closely matched their recommended set up criteria. It works like a charm! (y) I shot several different blade styles of broadheads, out to 25 yards and had perfect arrow flight. :cool:
I definitely recommend using this Dynamic Spine Calculator, as a "tuning" process. Basically, I just kept changing the numbers around until the 2 suggested Dynamic Spine numbers for the Bow and Arrow were within 2# of each other. After that, all I had to do was add a 50 grain tip weight to the inside of the insert and use a 125 grain field tip weight, to get the 175 grain recommended tip weight. https://www.3riversarchery.com/gold-tip-fact-screw-in-weight-system.html This is the easiest tuning process I've ever used and it worked. I'd like to hear from anyone else that has used this system of tuning to know if it works for other set ups. :unsure: I'd like to think that it would work for everyone and I didn't just get lucky. 😁

Bowhunter57

Reactions: Stressless

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to hear you had good results with it. That definitely makes things easier.

I like to use it as a starting point. But I don’t skip the bare shaft tuning process. I’m too much of a perfectionist to rely solely on computer software. I have to see the perfect tune with my own eyes.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I agree with JB the calculator is meant to get you in the ballpark but nothing beats shooting a bareshaft to see if it is flying weak or stiff then you can cut off a little at a time or add more weight up front. Plus u can always refletch that arrow. Lol
I always have one arrow bareshaft.
Nothing like getting it right on and seeing that bareshaft flying perfectly straight. Shooting just with fletching the fletched arrow will always help correct your arrow the bareshaft really let's you see if you are weak or stiff.

Last edited: